Monday, January 7, 2008

Blog for Thought

With so much snow on the ground, there isn’t much for me to report on horse or human progress. Without that indoor arena, I’m rather strapped for safe ground to walk on. I do hope that the rain and snow keep on coming to help the hay farmers and everyone else stricken by draught, though. So, with that, I bring you a thought…

I started this blog in part because there weren’t a whole lot of horse blogs out there that had the slant and attitude I was looking for, and in part because when I owned my first horse, my only resources were the breeder who sold him to me, and books. His breeder offered me a wealth of information, which I am grateful for. Eventually, I wanted to learn from other perspectives as well, since there is still so much we don’t know about horses. I tried meeting people at horse shows and in horse clubs in hopes of making connections that would help me unravel the mysteries of communicating with, caring for and training horses, but found that I walked right smack into a brick wall. I won’t go into detail, but I hope that some of these people don’t inflict the same cruelty on their horses that they inflicted on me.

Since then I have met a few nice people who are willing to answer my questions about horses, but only if something is in it for them – like hard cash or the promise that I will buy one of their horses someday. Even when I go to horse training seminars, I find that they are only teasers, and if we want the whole enchilada, we have to dig deeper into our wallets. One would think that if someone really cared about horses, she would part with her knowledge easily, rather than being close-mouthed, or worse yet, ostracizing others for being inexperienced with horses. Horse owners teaching horse owners benefits horses. So, I'd like to thank all the bloggers who dedicate themselves to helping horses through exploring the challenges of horse ownership and learning new skills with other horse owners.

11 comments:

Mrs Mom said...

In part, that is why I stepped away from so many "horse people", and have not been overly anxious to meet others. My husband and I made a mutual decision that we were scaling back our hoof care practrice- not because of the horses, or the work load, or the injuries, but because of the PEOPLE.

We still have a few trusted and enjoyed clients, but we will probably not ever grow the practice to 600 horses again either.

I'll help you out as much as I can here online... ;) and I promise, you dont have to buy a horse from me, (since i have none currently,) nor will I charge for "my opinion" ;)

Happy hoofin there in the snow/ cold/ mud!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thank you. I'll take you up on that offer now... When you have the time, could you direct me to either an article in your blog or website that describes how to teach a young horse to not struggle when you pick up her back hooves? I know my farrier would enjoy his visits more if Gabbrielle were more relaxed and cooperative.
600 horses! Ouch!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I should probably rephrase that before people think I'm too lazy to search for "hoof handling" myself. There are a lot of ideas and techniques out there regarding hoof handling, but with your background and experience I'm interested in your opinion of what is the best method to calm strugglers. Also, this is an opportunity for you to do a shameless plug for your blogspot.

Echo said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog - it's always nice to know that people read it! I'd never come across any horsey blogs before I started writing mine, but since I began, I've found quite a community! It's great when people give you advice after reading a post too - as you say, there are not enough people in the horse world willing to give advice with nothing in it for themselves.

I look forward to reading about your progress!

Mrs Mom said...

Well, I dont have a post up about hoof handling, but I can surely put one together for you and get it up! (Or I can put some info together for you, and send it to you here, which ever you would like!)

Let me work on that, and I'll get something put together for you ASAP!

LOL shamless plug... ;)

Talk with you soon!
MM

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

MM,

Wow! If you put an article together, go ahead and post it on Oh Horsefeathers. I read your articles about how to lose a farrier, and was relieved to know that I'm doing most everything right to keep mine. The only problem is that though Gabbrielle picks up her hooves fine, she pushes and pulls while you try to maneuver her hind leg into a comfortable resting position. I have a lot of hoof-picking to do with all this mud, snow, and ice. Maybe I'll include my progress on Nuzzling Muzzles. Thanks so much.

Rising Rainbow said...

Finding hay around here in the winter can be a real trip.

I would probably make room for a previously owned bunny in my barn.lol

When it comes to tarps, I don't know a brand but I do know there are silver ones that are about the same price as those blue things. The silver ones are much heavier and last much longer.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Rising Rainbow,
Thanks. I think I am using the tarp you are talking about. It is silver on one side and brown on the other. That one lasts about 6 months for me. The blue ones get shredded by the first wind that is over 20 MPH, and we often get 60 MPH winds here. Someone's blue tarp blew into my yard once, and since they never claimed it, I put it over my haystack. BIG MISTAKE! I had blue strings in my hay and all over my yard within a few weeks. I had to pick up every string in order to avoid having the horses ingest them. Anyway, I guess those heavy duty silver and brown tarps don't work for me because of Nevada's high heat in the summer, cold ice in the winter, and high winds.

Mrs Mom said...

OK, Miss Gabbrielle, there is a post up at Oh HorseFeathers just for you! (By the way Gabbrielle's Mom, if you need something else, jsut let me know- always happy to help out where I can!)

www.ohhorsefeathers.blogspot.com

Hope it helps!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thank you! The post is fantastic!

Jackie said...

There is a nice group of horse bloggers I've discovered since I got started. It's so nice to have so many friendly, competent people to learn from. You can work with horses for 20 years and still have a lot to learn. No matter our experience, I really believe that we can all learn something from each other's knowledge and experiences. There are too many people stuck up people in the horse world, but there are a whole lot who just love horses and will do anything to help a horse or horse person. Glad you're one of them!