Monday, January 21, 2008

Tarp Test

In a previous post titled "Hay!", I mentioned that I go through hay tarps every six months due to weathering. Between Nevada's high winds, triple-digit summers, and freezing winters, my tarps keep ripping. The ones I have been using are silver on one side and brown on the other. I buy them for a reasonable price at Wal-Mart. This time around I decided to try the Super Heavy Duty Premium Silver Canopy Tarp from Tarps.com. I ordered a 20x24 sized tarp, and it arrived today. My husband and I got it wrapped around the new block of hay that was delivered last week, which by the way, skyrocketed in price from the last block I had delivered in September. With the cost of hay rising so quickly, I have to protect my investment with a tarp that won't leak. I cannot afford to lose several bales due to mold.

This product's label displays the following...

  • Heavy Duty, Fiber Reinforced Polyethylene
  • Washable-Shrinkproof-Rotproof
  • Rope reinforced edges
  • Heavy Duty, Rust-Resistant Grommets
  • All Temperature / All Season Use
  • Reinforced Eyelets

I will inspect it every now and then, and upon the first sign of a rip, I'll put up another post and do the math to see how long it lasted. It does say that it can be used for two years or longer under normal use. If anyone wants to take a guess at how long this one will last, I'll let everyone know whose guess came closest when the time comes. This is a little better quality than the ones I've been using, so I'm betting on 9 months until the first rip appears, and I promise I won't rip it so that I can win.

3 comments:

Flying Lily said...

About what is the price difference between the new tougher tarp and the Walmarts you had been using?

And by the way I am betting...6 months life for the new tarp just because of wind and its fiendish capacity to rip grommets.

Rising Rainbow said...

It sounds like the tarps I was getting here and they actually held up for me for around two years. But then I don't know what the wind is like in your area. That would sure affect how long it takes for them to tear.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I think I paid between $35 and $40 for the biggest Wal-Mart tarp, which was smaller than the Tarps.com tarp. The 24x20 Tarps.com tarp costs $52.80 plus tax and shipping.