Friday, March 14, 2008

My Latest Challenge in Horse Management

I have exactly three horses, and exactly three stalls, and exactly three pens. Yesterday I lost the use of one of my pens. The cable company came out and discovered a flaw in my cable, which didn't surprise me. Years ago they laid our old cable straight across my horse paddock and one pen, and barely buried it, so the horses were able to dig it up with their hooves and take a bite out of that juicy morsel that looked like a root. We called the cable repairmen back to lay down a fresh cable and bury it deeper. I then covered that cable with rocks, knowing the horses would go straight for the soft, freshly dug dirt and dig it up again. That cable lasted several years until we needed to have our septic cover dug up. Wouldn't you know it? The cable company laid the cable directly over the septic cover! Of course, it got nicked by the septic company's shovels.

The cable company usually can't come out for several weeks for a repair job, and that was unacceptable with me having a computer job where I work from home. So, my husband went out and bought more cable, spliced it with the good part of the old cable, and rerouted it around the septic cover. That was last year. This year the cable company came by to give us more channels and discovered that one channel wouldn't come through due to there being a flaw in the old cable. The man wanted to lay down yet another new cable. I suggested that he run it along the outside of the chain-link fence, the outside of the horse pen, and along the patio to the house. He said, "I can't leave it above ground by a walkway, because it is a liability. So, I'm going to bury it in front of your patio, but that's all I have time for, and our diggers are booked out for weeks, maybe months."

Of course, as soon as my horse Gabbrielle saw that long black piece of licorice get laid down outside of her pen, she couldn't resist sticking her head between the wood panels and taking a bite! I hollered at her and she backed away. I told the man that this wasn't going to work, because my horse can still reach it through the fence. I was hoping he would at least bury it along the wooden fence, but he didn't have the time. So, I removed the horses' blankets and put the horses together in the paddock, and then called my husband to have him pick up some chicken wire on the way home.

My logic was that we needed to do something and with both of us working full time, plus a storm coming through on the weekend, there would be no time for us to do the digging ourselves. The soil in our neighborhood is very difficult to dig. The clay is tightly packed and riddled with large river rock and boulders. It is much faster to nail in some chicken wire to prevent the horses from poking their heads between the wood panels. However, by the time my husband got home with the chicken wire, it was too dark to start installing it. The next morning we had to get to work, so I had to put the horses together in a different pen without their blankets on again, despite a storm moving in.

I really need all three pens so that I can let the horses out to exercise, but with their turnout blankets on in cold weather. If I put them together with their blankets on, they rip each other's blankets with their teeth. If I leave them in their stalls with their blankets on to keep them separated, they get restless and anxious being cooped up inside. If I put one of them out to pasture, the horse would destroy the grass before it had a chance to grow, so the pasture is off limits until next month. This is just one of many management type problems I have to solve on a day-to-day basis when it comes to owning large animals.

Normally, I love the challenge, but not on a weekday when my bosses are waiting for me to complete some tasks so that they can meet their deadlines. To top it all off, the cable company ended up not installing the channel that I wanted, which was RFD-TV so I could watch all those horse training shows. Now I have to drive into their office to get a real live person to help me figure out whether the salesperson or the installer screwed up. I suspect it was the salesperson, and the cable company does not carry RFD-TV. Instinct told me not to trust the lady, so I made her supervisor confirm that I would get RFD-TV. She confirmed it. Now I have dozens of movie and sports channels that I don't want, no RFD-TV, and one less horse pen.

5 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

I can't get RFD-TV on cable here either. Talk about a pain. I wish you luck in getting this all sorted out.

Twinville said...

I've been wondering why I don't get RFD-TV on our Direct Dish TV.
I would have thought that everything comes in on Sattelite.

Sorry about the rough going challenges with the cable company and horse/pasture management.

Things seem impossible right now, but that's just because you are in the dip of the roller coaster of life. You'll be headed uphill very soon. I can feel it.

Beckz said...

Gosh how frustrating. It sounds like your horses are too clever for their own good lol

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

According to RFD-TV's website...

RFD-TV is a free channel, so long as you subscribe to any DIRECTV basic programming package, you will receive RFD-TV at no additional charge.

RFD-TV is located on DISH Network's 110 degree satellite, which requires the DISH 500 satellite antenna.

RFD-TV is now available and is being offered to all cable systems throughout the United States and Canada. Currently, the following cable systems have agreed and/or are carrying RFD-TV on a 24-hour basis as a basic cable channel.

Mediacom Cable

So, it sounds like if you have DirectTV, you should definitely get it, if you have DISH you need a specific satellite, and only one cable company carries it.

Lulu said...

I guess I'm lucky! Only one of my 3 needs a blanket; and since she is Queen the others leave her blanket alone.

My husband and I are working on fence this weekend. We need to get the girls off the pasture so it can grow. Yippee! Spring is here!!