Friday, March 28, 2008

Tarp Test Update

For those of you who were participating in my Tarp Test contest, I wanted to let you know that we brought down the tarp this past weekend and inspected it. No damage yet, though it wouldn't be expected after only two months of use. However, it definitely has been put to the test between the snow, sun, and high winds. I'm still taking bets on how long it will last, so feel free to leave a comment. You can review the original Tarp Test post for more information.

I suppose I should offer up a prize for the person whose guess comes the closest. If I do it that way, you will have to give me an exact date, rather than just saying it will get its first rip in "nine months from the time you bought it" or "in one year". I put the new tarp on the haystack on January 21st, 2008 and previously bet that it will last nine months, so my official guess on how long it will last is until October 21st, 2008. Flying Lily previously guessed six months, so I will make her date be July 21st, 2008 unless she wants to change it. By the way, do stop by Lily's blog by clicking that link and say hello.

The prize for the person whose guess comes closest to the day of the first rip will win handmade quilted potholders. See my other blog site for pictures of my quilting projects: Frazzle Frenzy. I'd offer to quilt something bigger than potholders, but considering that it takes me years just to complete one wall hanging or bed quilt, I had better keep the project small. The winner can pick out the colors to match his or her kitchen. Ready? Set? Go!

5 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm impressed that it's holding up for you. I used the cheap blue tarps last year and it didn't help much at all, as you can imagine. Holes everywhere. This year City Boy bought one of those tents from Costco; the kind people have parties under or park r.v.s in. Aside from the high winds lifting them off the ground, they've held up quite well.

onthebit said...

Your tarp looks all high tech and fancy. I think it will last until Dec 3rd. I have faith.

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm still sticking with mine held up for a couple of years. I have a new one I need to get spread out over my manure pile. I expect it to hold up that long.

I hope you end up pleasantly surprised by how long this lasts for you.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Tracey - Those blue ones are awful. Did you want to pick an expiration date for the contest?

OnTheBit - I've got you down for Dec. 3rd, 2008.

RisingRainbow - I'll put you down for Jan. 21st, 2010.

Twinville said...

Because this new one looks so much sronger than those cheapie Walmart ones, I'm guessing your first weather related rip will be January 18th, 2009.

Crossing my fingers for you that it last even longer than that, of course, but it would be lovely for me to win one of your pretty quilted potholders. hehe