Monday, March 10, 2008

You Know It's Almost Spring in Nevada When...

1. A jackrabbit bolts across your path.

2. A ground squirrel makes its way into your house.

3. Your horse actually finds something other than hay to eat.

4. Bird droppings wallpaper your horse stalls in a manner that is reminiscent of The Matrix.

5. Your horse sinks his teeth into something on the ground and the pungent smell of sagebrush explodes in the air.

6. Floating spiders and their webs land in your hair.

7. You spend a good percentage of your day alternating between attaching and removing horse blankets.

8. Tiny flies can be seen hovering over your manure pile.

9. You have to vacuum twice as often due to all the dog hair on your carpet.

10. One day it feels like summer; the next it is snowing.

11. Road construction thwarts your schedule everywhere you turn.

12. The RVs start rolling in from neighboring states.

13. When you need to wear a coat in public, you discover that every coat you own is covered in dog and horse hair.

14. Amongst everything else, you have to find time to start hand-watering.

15. A hot air balloon floats over your home, and someone inside the basket waves hello.

10 comments:

jdp said...

Ooh - nice post - you really caught the feeling of the season!

Beckz said...

Is that the veiw from your house??

Twinville said...

Oh yes! I loved this post of yours. The format was fun, too.

I'd have to say that Spring is not quite here yet at our 7,000 ft above sea level, but I can relate to....


#4. Bird droppings wallpaper your horse stalls in a manner that is reminiscent of The Matrix. (True! The ones in our barn are already staking out rafters and nooks in there to build nests)

#10. One day it feels like summer; the next it is snowing. (Ain't that the truth! It's snowing right now....but will be in the 60's later this week)

#12. The RVs start rolling in from neighboring states. (Yep, but they are on their way THROUGH our state of NM to neighboring AZ! hehe)

#15. A hot air balloon floats over your home, and someone inside the basket waves hello. (Well not in our direct area, but just a bit west, in Albuquerque)

Actually, your post and your awesome photo (is that the balloon that flew over your house?) reminded me of a fond memory when we lived in Rio Rancho, NM.

One morning while drinking my tea, in my jammies, a hot air balloon flew right across our backyard, close enough for me to tell who had a beard and what color their pants were! They all waved, and so did I.

That really made my day!

(And your blog did too)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

jdp - Thanks. I have to step it up a bit, because I'm worried I might lose your readership now that you are walking instead of reading with you knee propped up.

Beckz - Shhhhhh. I don't want anyone else moving here. People are trashing this place so fast that it won't be my view for long.

Twinville - I like the comparisons. The dogs called my attention to that particular balloon by barking at it, but it was another that few over my house. Don't get too happy about people just passing through your state. My husband has been talking about retiring in your area for years now.

jdp said...

No worries - my evening blog habit of going out on the balcony with a glass of wine and the laptop (the lovely boyfriend calls it my office) isn't going anywhere!

Rising Rainbow said...

I was wondering when the masses of loose horse hair were going to make that list of yours. lol

TomStarling said...

You have enough bird droppings to describe it as wallpaper? Be careful with that, exposure to droppings (even by trying to clean them off) can lead to contraction of potentially fatal diseases, like histoplasmosis. Perhaps a bird deterrent would be useful. Many are available that don't harm the birds or environment.

Bird-X

Esoxer said...

Gorgeous view...when I read "floating spiders" I got goosebumps...yeesh! Love this time of year...lots of trail rides and adventures in front of us:-)

Callie said...

Nice post.......I keep waiting....I've finally removed the blankets and had to start spring diets!

Scary said...

Excellent list! Jeremiah and I drove through Nevada about a year ago. It was so beautiful. We thought that Nevada wouldn't be a bad state to end up.