Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Baby Bunnies Buried in a Great Big Pile of ****

In a previous post I mentioned how we discovered some newborn bunnies (kits) in our composting pile of manure. Every few days I uncover their nest and check on them, and am amazed at how quickly they grow. The first day that we found them they screamed and bit me, but now they are used to my voice and my gloved touch. I'm starting to think their mama might be that dwarf bunny that had been living under my haystack. Their ears seem rather short for a jackrabbit. Time will tell.

One day when I was crouching in the manure pile and digging around for the nest, I looked up to see my neighbor craning his neck to stare at me over the fence. I'm sure he must have thought I was nuts digging with my hands through that humongous pile of poop. I thought of saying something wicked and outrageous like, "Care to join me for dinner?"

8 comments:

ranchette said...

they're adorable!

Rising Rainbow said...

I wondered how they were doing. Thanks for the update.

Flying Lily said...

I have a bad attitude to bunnies, derived from watching them eat all my tulips, strawberry plants, lettuce, rosebuds, etc. We have an infestation of rabbits and they are about as big as beach balls at maturity. They stand around in my yard waiting for something to grow, then they lazily waddle over and consume it down to the ground. These are sure cute though.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lily - Not much of anything grows in the soil in my neighborhood, so no one has a garden. The jackrabbits eat the apples that fall from our apple trees in the summer and fall. I think they just eat grass in the spring, so they shouldn't be a problem for people around here -- other than bolting out in front of traffic, but I've seen some drivers who do worse.

Callie said...

OMG! they are too cute!, even in their little poop nest!

Anne said...

Well, who would think to look for bunnies in a poop nest? An interesting place.

When they scream it's almost more than I can take. That's one of the world's worst sounds.

So glad that they're growing and that you're able to watch!

photogchic said...

So cute. Good to hear they are doing Ok.

Twinville said...

Thanks for the wonderful update. I've owned rabbits most of my life, but didn't know a whole lot about wild buniies, so I've learned alot from your posting.

I think a terrific comment towards your neighbor watching you dig through the manure pile would be, "Howdy, you oughta see the size of my delicious Portabello mushrooms in this pile! Yummy! Can I harvest you some?"