Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jeans that Actually Fit!

I have an odd figure. (The picture above is not me, but the figure of a typical fashion model who is probably around the age of sixteen.) My waist is small, my belly pouch left over from two pregnancies is large, my hips are wide, and my thighs are even wider. Usually, when I try on jeans, I have to be swimming in the waist in order to get the rest to fit. Of course, that can be fixed with a belt, but the waist-swimmage is so extreme that if I bend over, one can drop a bowling ball down the back of my pants. If I use a belt, a lot of material needs to be gathered to tighten the waist, and the belt usually cuts off my digestion, causing abdominal pains.

Of course, I know the correct style is to wear jeans that sit at the hips and not the waist, but if I buy any shirt that is more than 80% cotton, it shrinks up to waist-length and I'm too old to be showing my belly. I need either the pants or the shirt to cover that area, and I prefer that the pants do it. Plus I don't care to display my granny-undies or butt-crack every time I bend over, which is what happens with those pants that sit at the hips.

Yesterday I found a jean that actually fits me from waist to thigh, and it is so comfortable that I don't feel binding in any location. It's almost like wearing pajamas! In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I did fall asleep in them one of these nights. It the Levi's 512 Perfectly Slimming jean. The store did not have my size, so I pulled one size smaller off the rack. Looking at it on the hanger, I thought there was no way they would fit me. I wasn't even going to take a pair into the dressing room to try on until I saw that they were made of the stretch jean material, and then I took a chance. I was amazed to find out that one size smaller did fit, and I could do deep knee-bends in them in the dressing room as well. Much to my husband's disgust, I grabbed two pair and headed for the cash register. If it sounds like you might have a figure like mine, give them a try.

3 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Every time I find a pair of jeans that fit, it seem the manufacturer discontinues them. I hope you have better luck in that department than I have.

BarnGoddess said...

I am in deep debt to whoever incorporated a tiny bit of spandex into denim! it makes getting on a tall horse with short stirrups so easy :)

Twinville said...

You said:
"Plus I don't care to display my granny-undies or butt-crack every time I bend over, which is what happens with those pants that sit at the hips."

You took the words right out of my mouth, girlfriend! hehe

My sons are always reminding me that my undies or butt crack are showing when I'm squatting down for something. ugh!

I love what barn goddess said, too, about the spandex. Good stuff that spandex is.

Before I discovered spandex, I had to somehow contortion myself to get on my big horse, and I was always nervous about ripping the butt or crotch seam while climbing up.

Of course, like you noticed, I actually managed to seriously rip my jeans while ON TOP of my horse yesterday!

And how ironic, like you commented on my blog, that you were BUYING jeans while I was ripping them! hehe

I swear we must be walking along on parallel universes, girlfriend!