Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Tribute to Oscar

It's not often when I get my husband onto the back of a large animal. Years ago we took a rare family vacation to Yosemite and booked a half-day mule ride. They gave my husband this huge, goofy mule named Oscar. Oscar was one of these animals you meet that is so impressive that you can't stop staring at him. He was massive, strong, gentle, handsome, and confident. I wanted to ride him so bad, but I knew the guides would not let us switch mules. It was apparent by the guides' behavior that they too were in awe of this mule. Though there were maybe a dozen or more riders in our party, our guides kept talking to Oscar, assuring him of his sweetness.

I'm ashamed to say that I spent almost all of that entire half-day ride scheming over how I can manage to buy Oscar and return with my horse trailer to bring him home. Of course, I realized that my horse trailer probably wouldn't fit him, so I'd have to ride him from Yosemite back to the Reno area, which didn't deter me. I would have enjoyed the ride. However, sanity won over, we thanked our guides, hugged our mules, piled back into our vehicle and drove back home empty-handed, but with a great experience behind us. Here's to you Oscar! May you continue to grow in people's hearts.

This picture is for Callie, who reminded me that I do have a photo of Oscar and I recently bought a new scanner/printer (because my old printer broke), so I actually can scan old photos and don't have to rely on my digital camera anymore. Isn't he strong, gentle, handsome, and confident? This time I'm talking about my husband.

5 comments:

Callie said...

Too bad you don't have a pic of Oscar!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Callie - Look again. I republished the post with a photo.

Callie said...

He is a handsome mule....not that your husband isn't.... or a mule....LOL, anyway, thanks for the pic.

Flying Lily said...

Gorgeous mule! And hubby looks fine too. That must have been such an amazing ride. I am envious...

Twinville said...

He's goofy, huge and handsome
...all at the same time. You can pick of whom I'm actually referring to...hubby or mule. hehehe