Sunday, May 18, 2008

Grazing with My Buddies

Today I rode Bombay and made sure to include a cavesson beneath the bridle. It turned out that a hinge on the cheek piece of the bit did match up to the location where his fur was missing, so it was probably pinching the hair right off of his cheek. The noseband lifts the bit off his cheeks and protects him from pinching and rubbing.

I then bathed and groomed all three horses. Talk about exhausting! However, since it was in the mid-90's today, all that water spray felt good. I opted not to go to the horsemanship clinic because I had too many other things to do this weekend.

Once the horses were bathed, I didn't want to turn them out in the dirt paddock, so I put them out to pasture.
I sat down in the grass, watched and waited to get some good shots with my camera.

Oh oh, I've been spotted.

Here comes Gabbrielle to investigate.

Right about now I'm thinking about getting up.

I decided to trust her instead. She just sniffed me to make sure I wasn't hurt, and then grazed nearby.

Everything was cool until Lostine let out a huge whinny and launched into a gallop, sending Gabbrielle and Bombay into fits. We don't want the horses to gallop in the pasture, because it tears up the grass that we've spent years of back-breaking labor growing and nurturing.

Lostine is the only horse that breaks that rule. When she gets like that, she ignores my commands to halt, so I have to catch her with the lead rope and walk her until she settles down enough to get interested in grazing again.

6 comments:

Chris said...

And it does look like a lovely lot of grass! Love that first picture of the three!

Reminds me of three I spent time with in South Africa that were known as 'the 3 musketeers'. Yup, a very cool shot :D

Callie said...

LOL, Love laying out in the pasture with them and a camera. Makes for nice photos!

onthebit said...

I didn't even know you could grow grass in your part of the country :P

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

onthebit -- We definitely can't grow much. The grass has to be hardy and has to be watered daily. I planted some flower bulbs about 12 years ago and they never came up. Then my husband piled about three feet of manure over that spot, and now they are suddenly sprouting!

Laura said...

Great photos! There are so many fun ways to spend time with the horses. Just hangin' in the pasture while they happily graze is very fun.

Twinville said...

Wow! Look at that green grass! What type is it?
Here in NM, we have some rye,bent grass and buffalo grasses, but they tend to look so weedy. Yours looks like a real pasture!

You did an AWESOME job washing and grooming your horses. They are literally glowing, and they look so healthy and beautiful!

You'll have to do a post on your favorite grooming products sometime. I'd love to get my girl looking so gorgeous, too!