Friday, May 16, 2008

I LOVE THIS HORSE!

Whoever tells you that Arabian horses are crazy needs to meet my filly Gabbrielle. This horse is so level-headed, so affectionate, so intelligent, and so beautiful that she blows me away. Today I ran outside on my lunch break to try lunging her with a heavier saddle. Right when I put the halter on her, a huge, loud truck came up the street. I was ready for her to bolt, but she completely ignored it.

As soon as I got the saddle on her and was tightening the cinch, our mail carrier came racing up the street blaring his horn to announce his arrival. I jumped out of my skin and yelled, "SHUT UP! I'M WORKING WITH A HORSE HERE!"

His horn is so incredibly loud that after jumping out of my skin, I was shaking all over in shock. I looked at Gabbrielle and realized that she wasn't in the least bit affected by the mail carrier's actions nor my reactions. In fact, she had an amused expression on her face and then nuzzled me as if to calm me down.

The entire time that I worked with her in the round pen, a neighbor who has been landscaping his yard for two years now was out making a racket pushing boulders around with a backhoe. The sudden loud noises were messing with my nervous system, but Gabbrielle just kept her head in her work.

At the end of our lesson, I put my foot in the stirrup and jumped up and down. (This is a horse who has never been ridden before.) Gabbrielle just held still and faced forward with her ears forward. I think she was actually happy that I was finally going to ride her -- so she thought. When I ride my other horses, she pokes at my leg as if telling me to get off the horse I am on and ride her instead.

I then pushed all the way up and leaned across the saddle. Despite me tightening her cinch multiple times, it was still loose, so the saddle slipped quite a bit down her side. She just turned her head and looked at me with her ears pinned forward as if to investigate what was causing that strange sensation. I apologized, straightened the saddle, and led her back to the trailer to remove the tack and reward her with carrots. Something tells me that she will someday be the best riding partner a girl could wish for.

12 comments:

onthebit said...

You have a very special horse who will hopefully only get better with age and experiance!

Mrs Mom said...

It sounds like that little lady has some lessons in store for you Mom, on how to take things in stride and relax ;)

OTB is right- she is a very special girl!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Relax? What's that? LOL.

ranchette said...

wow - what a great girl. I'm envious of your day as J, the Arabian cross, had a complete bratty meltdown yesterday. Gabrielle sounds like a dream!

Callie said...

Awesome, They never "ceese" to amaze you, don't they. Not sure if I spelled that right. LOL.

Twinville said...

What an amazing horse you've got there. I'm actually envious of you a bit and the future you two will share. Of course, I also very happy for the two of you, as well.

She is so gorgeous!

Chris said...

Eheheh, she sounds a lot calmer than my Arab boy! And you're right, she is absolutely gorgeous! Something about grey Arabs!

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful partnership with this one!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Gosh, I just left a nice message and comment but I am not sure I got it posted as it didn't show up. If you got it then you can delete this one. If you didn't let me know on my blog and I will come back and try to reconstruct it. I love this horse almost as much as you do. What a sweet looking filly she is.

fvclassic said...

that's most excellent.. i'm constantly amazed with my arabian.. things i think are gonna get him or rattle him... solid as a rock... now if a flock of birds wasnt so unsettling for him :)

we are so blessed by our equines huh?
gp in montana

sue said...

oh my word... she is absolutely beautiful!!!!!

FiKaLo said...

she sounds like a fantastic horse and she looks lovely in the photo!

Grey Horse Matters said...

She is a pretty girl. I love a horse that spooks less than I do. She sounds like a perfectly calm sensible girl.
Just last week I was riding down the alleyway at the farm on Blue(paint gelding) about 50 motorcycles came flying past us and he never blinked an eye, meanwhile I was sure I would be killed. Just goes to show you sometimes they are smarter than we are.