Monday, May 26, 2008

Santa Barbara Horse Show II

Previous posts in this series:
Santa Barbara Horse Show I

Since the sun was out on the first day of the show, shadows from the overhead lighting were cast onto the main arena ground. Some horses thought those round shadows were holes in the ground, and they either jumped over them or moved around them. It took a skilled rider to either convince her horse that there's nothing to fear or steer a line between them.

The show included a wide variety of classes, including side saddle...




The lady in the picture above, Pam Hess, had a tin filled with horse treats and shook it to get the horse's ears forward while the professional photographer, Rob Hess, took his pictures. If the treats didn't get the horse's attention, she shook some silver tassels on the end of a stick. When the winning horse from each class took its victory lap, the lady shook the tassel low to the ground so that the horse would arch its neck and put its ears forward. I saw only a few horses spook or balk at the tassel. Most pranced right by it as if it was something they saw everyday.

The show included Western Pleasure classes. Check out the gorgeous show saddles and costumes in these pictures...




In the pictures above, the horses have bits in their mouths and the riders hold both reins just above the horse's neck and withers in their left hand and hold the end of the rein to their side with their right hand.

In the pictures below, the horses wear a bosal around their noses while the riders hold one rein in each hand out to the sides.




More classes and special events to come...

10 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

The lady with the tin is Pam Hess. She is the photograhper's wife. He is Rob Hess. They are from my neck of the woods. He is a renowned Arabian horse photographer and is at shows all over the country.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks, MiKael. I added their names to the post.

Jessie said...

Great photos! I can't wait to see more...

Flying Lily said...

These pictures and narrative are terrific - makes me feel like I was there. The treat-shaking trick is a neat idea for horse photos generally. I usually get that ears-back/eyes-closed image that says "One second ago I looked terrific".

Callie said...

Great pics! Look at those gorgeous arabs!

Pony Girl said...

Love the pictures of the western horses in the bosals. Something so elegant about an Arabian in a bosal, maybe because it is kind of bulky and a nice contrast to their dished faces. Can't wait to see more!

onthebit said...

I love that there is western arab side saddle! The ladies who run the barn where X lives also do side saddle....they even jump over big (3+ feet) jumps side saddle. It is a very intersting style of riding.

occam said...

I've always thought the bosal style of riding with your arms extended like that looks terribly uncomfortable. Wouldn't it get very tiring after awhile too? The demands of fashion! Horses all look great though. And the tack is spectacular too. Wonderful photos.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

occam -- I've had the same thought. I don't ride that way, so I don't know how uncomfortable or tiring it gets, but the classes only last a few minutes.

Twinville said...

That white horse in the 3rd picture down, being ridden side-saddle is absolutely GORGEOUS!

Thanks for the lowdown on all the different classes and competitions and how things work at an Arabian Show.

My neighbor took me to my first Arabian show (not as big as the one you went to) in ABQ a few months ago and she walked me through everything I was seeing and had questions about.

My favorite was the Arabian Costume Class. Wow!
I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait to attend more horse shows.