Sunday, June 1, 2008

Bitting Up

It's a miracle! I finally found a bridle that had room for me to punch more holes in the straps. Now I have a bridle and bit that fit Gabbrielle's tiny head! It's also a miracle that I finally got someone to take some pictures of me. Thank you, D-Dog! This is a first. I've been blogging since December of 2007, and I've never posted a picture of myself until now.

Yes, I'm feeling better. I made a concerted effort to get nine full hours of uninterrupted sleep and that made all the difference in the world.

In other good news, Gabbrielle allowed me to drive her from behind as opposed to from the side. I had been having problems with her turning toward me each time I stepped behind her. However today she suddenly decided that she was okay with following my cues while I walked (and ran) behind her. She moved forward at the walk and trot, turned in both directions while walking without stopping, and came to a halt on cue. It seemed effortless after all that trouble she'd been giving me before. I guess something just clicked. Isn't she cute?

After driving her with lines attached to the halter, I put the bridle and bit on her, and then let her hang out a while she mouthed it. Then I led her around with the bit in her mouth. Once her mouth got quiet, I began pulling on each rein to turn her.

Please don't ask me if I'm pregnant. I love baby doll blouses, but they poof out in such a way that my belly looks bigger than it is. For years I had women coming up to me and asking when the baby is due, even when I had my teenage daughter right next to me. Fortunately, that stopped a few years ago when people realized that I'm probably too old to be pregnant. I do have a pouch that sticks out, but those baby doll tops really make it obvious. I guess it's time to try a different style.

9 comments:

Callie said...

Congrats on getting the bridle right! And it's nice to see a face with the post! Yay!

onthebit said...

It is great that you finally were able to work the lines behind her! YAY! And don't be so self consious about the pictures...all I thought about your top was how it is so nice and you wear it around horses! I can NEVER wear nice shirts around Genny, even coming from school I would have to chame my top because he is so dirty it looks like a role in the mud after I groom him.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks, Callie.

onthebit - I know what you mean about the dirt. My horses like to wipe their noses on my shirt when I'm not paying attention. I tend to just run outside in whatever I'm wearing to save time, so that I'm not constantly changing clothes. I just make sure that I always wear jeans on the weekends. The shirts usually come out okay in the wash.

Shirley said...

Looks like you are doing well with your pretty mare. Love the last photo!

Beckz said...

I'm so glad that you're feeling better, and I love Gabrielles purple halter. She has such a delicate face.

Laura said...

Nice to see some photos of you! Sounds like your mare is coming along - she is really pretty!

Grey Horse Matters said...

So that's what you look like! I love your horse, glad to hear she and you are clicking with the training. Nothing wrong with the blouse you look fine. I say if it's comfy wear it.

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm glad it finally clicked for her. I'm sure that's a relief.

Twinville said...

I don't know exactly whatI was expecting, but you look so different than what it was. haha!
And in a good way. You look so cute in those tops and jeans actually. Love the one of you happily peeking out from under/beside Gabbrielle's side, too.

What a great day of training. Kudos to the two of you. Gabbrielle gets prettier and cuter every day!