Monday, July 14, 2008

Scenes from Region III

My daughter and I attended the last afternoon of the 2008 Region III Championship Horse Show, featuring Arabian and half-Arabian horses, at the Reno Livestock Events Center. The majority of classes were in an air-conditioned indoor arena, which was fortunate considering all the smoke in the air from the California wildfires. We discovered that taking action shots in the low lighting of this arena was difficult even with my son's new digital camera. The majority of our photos came out blurry, but I put together a few of my favorites to share with you. Some of these pictures were taken by me and some were taken by my daughter. We had two cameras going at once.

Western line-up.

That background moves so fast, the camera couldn't catch it.

The silence of the halt.

I love this photo above, because it almost looks like an Arabian horse and rider out in a desert in Saudi Arabia.

Some of the Hunter classes were huge. Despite this, the judges were still able to come up with a unanimous champion in several cases.

The beauty and gracefulness of side saddle.

Handsome man. Handsome horse... unless it's a mare, and then I apologize and say "pretty horse".

I love the electric blue saddle pad and blouse here. She has beautiful tack too.

Hang onto your hat.

Lookin' stylish.

4 comments:

Twinville said...

I think you're photos turned out wonderful!
I think if you used Photoshop or one of those photo editing softwares that you could easily crop out the building in the background of the photos of the costume class horse and riders.
By adding a background of sanddunes and maybe some adobe style desert buildings and a palm tree or two, it really would look like a realistic Saudi Arabian backdrop.

Abraham Lincoln said...

The horses are beautiful. I wish I could say the same about the costumes some of the riders are wearing. LOL

Callie said...

Nice photos! Looks like interesting classes. Love the showmanship!

Pony Girl said...

My sister and I are attending an Arabian show this weekend. We're only going one day, so I'm not sure what classes we will get to see. It's been a while since I've watched a show, and usually it's a stock horse breed show. So this will be good. I'll try to get some pics, but I have a feeling my camera will not take indoor pictures well.