Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Little Path

This is my little path that leads from my front lawn to the roadside mailboxes. It also encircles my pasture and we use it for running like a track. When I need some peace and quiet and want to feel one with nature, I park a chair under a pine tree along this path, read poetry, and watch the horses graze. We have planted several Christmas trees here.

Our lawn is lush thanks to all the work that my husband puts into it. He fertilizes it regularly, fixes sprinklers, and hand waters the brown spots. Both he and my son mow it every weekend. This is actually just one of six sections of lawn around our house. The dogs fertilize three of the lawns, the horses fertilize the pasture lawn, and the jackrabbits get to graze on grass and fallen apples on the two front lawns while the kids play ball there. Our jackrabbits are amazingly tame. They could be the same ones that I petted when they were babies in the nest last spring, which may be why they aren't concerned about us. Most of the people in my neighborhood just have sagebrush surrounding their houses. I really love our park-like setting.

6 comments:

Twinville said...

I like how you've claimed that special path as your own to find a little peace and harmony when you need it. It's really great to have a space like that right on your property, too.

I've got several special places that I like to sit and watch chickens, goats, llamas or my horse, too. I'm also searching for a good place to hang my hammock, except I'm having a hard time imagining me actually lounging in a hammock when there's always so many things distracting me.
One can dream right? hehe

Andrea said...

It's so nice to have a nice quiet place of your own. Your husband has done a fantastic job on your lawn. It really looks great.

Jenn said...

I love your little "hideaway" spot. It's so nice to have somewhere to just get away from it all and enjoy the world around you. I can sit on my deck and watch the horses and chickens and goats and whatnot, and although it's not very secluded, it has become my favorite place to be. I'm slowly training the kids and my husband to give me my time when I'm on the deck just taking it all in.
So much better than parking your butt on the couch and watching TV!
The rabbits let you pet them?! Wow! I'll bet they just love the little grass buffet you guys have growing for them. :P

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Twinville - Oh, a hammock would be awesome.

Andrea - Thanks for the lawn compliment. I'll let my husband know.

Jenn - There were some baby rabbits in a nest in my manure pile last winter/spring, and I checked on them each day. They let me pet them until they left the nest. These adult rabbits let us get close to them, but not pet them. I'm thinking that since they let us get close, they may be the same rabbits from that nest.

Callie said...

Our lawn looks like crap! It's been so dry here and I can't water. Too much to water. Anyhow, your's does look lush!

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Oh man, your yard does look nice. I have had to water mine a couple of times. All of my new grass looks pretty tough though. I hope the roots are good and deep so I don't have to replant next spring. Tell your husband he is going a great job.;)

I have been keeping up with all of your progress and I think you are just doing a fantastic job!! I am glad to hear that your trainer is listening to you. That has to make all the difference in the world to know that it's okay to make some decisions for yourself, instead of just running around spouting "my trainer says...". GOOD JOB!!