Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rescue Fly Traps

Over the years I have used a variety of fly traps, and though they visibly catch and kill flies, they don't really control the fly population. Rescue Fly Traps and other hanging enclosures that contain fly attractants make me suspicious. We were having a relatively light fly season last week, but I thought I'd get ahead of the game by hanging these fly traps to catch what few flies we had.

Within hours we had a massive migration of flies into our yard. The attractant inside the bag was calling to flies from all over the neighborhood. Sure, the bag was filled to the brim with dead flies within a couple of days, but I'm wondering if we might have had less flies had I not hung the traps. Also, there is an amazing number of baby flies attacking my horses, which makes me think that perhaps the attractant inspires flies to do their reproduction thing at a much faster rate.

I don't pretend to know the mating habits of a fly, but I do know that things got worse in a hurry once I hung up these traps. I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of those who have used fly traps. What do you think? Do they work or make things worse?

9 comments:

Maximus said...

I love those! I was hesitant because of their smell (yuck!) but I hung one in my mare's stall and there have been very few flies. I bought one for the barns picnic area as well and there is a noticeable difference.

coymackerel said...

I've been using a different brand but same idea - instructions said that yes indeed it would bring the flies so hang it at least 50 feet away from your deck, barn, house, whatever. We did that and have had almost no flies on our back deck this year.

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

We did a two fold approach this year-we released fly predators in the manure pile and I put the trap-n-toss fly traps-up in the barn. I noticed within a couple of days that the horses didn't want to use the barn anymore and realized that putting the fly traps IN the barn was causing more flies to bother the horses. So I moved them away from the barn and within 24 hours noticed that the horses were much more comfortable.

I think they worked pretty darn good. I am on round three of them and am not catching many flies anymore. The only thing I will do different next year is start earlier in the fly season.

Twinville said...

We haven't had much problem with flies until recently, so I'm interested to read the replies you get. So far it seems that hanging the traps pretty far away from the barn is important.

Callie said...

I swear by the fly predators! They are the best fly control I have ever used! I bought 7 months worth at only about $130 and they show up in the mail every month and then I release them near any poo. I strongly recommend them!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I have always hung mine from the awning of the barn, because that's the only place to hang it. We don't have trees anyhwere near my horses. One time I tried to hang it from a bolt on a fence, and the dogs knocked it down. Plus it wasn't in the shade, so it became ineffective.

I think what I will do is hang the next two from a tree in our front yard and see if that sends the flies away from my horses. Unfortunately, my only choices are to attract the flies to the horse's paddock, the dogs' run, or the front yard where the kids play. I think I'll look into fly predators too.

CadencedHoofbeats said...

I love these fly traps! I have been using them all summer, and they have caught a TON of flies. They catch so many that I can't even keep up with changing them. As others have mentioned, DEFINITELY keep them as far away as possible. First of all, they smell TERRIBLE. :D I hang five or six traps over my manure pile which is away from the barn. I actually found that if I hung them in the sun, they caught more flies. I have also started using fly predators, and I am very impressed so far. Good luck! :)

Andrea said...

I love those fly traps. We use the same ones. They work great!! We haven't had much of a fly problem this year, so we haven't bought any yet.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

UPDATE: I threw out the stinky traps hanging in front of the barn, and hung two new traps from some pine trees along the road away from the barn and the house. Now when my neighbor walks her dog on my property she can smell them and get attacked by flies. Perhaps if I make my property smell bad enough, she'll stay on her own side of the property line. The fly problem appears to have improved, but there are always those stubborn flies that prefer to crawl all over my horses' faces than to join the others at the traps.