Friday, September 19, 2008

An Economic Nightmare

Everyone knows about the gas and oil crisis, which results in everything else going up in price. (Hay, for instance.) Most people know about the mortgage crisis. We also have another unemployment crisis on the rise. Locally, one of the largest employers in Northern Nevada has to let people go, while small businesses are folding left and right. I can’t tell you how many times I have driven to a store only to find it abandoned.

It's been six years since I was last laid off, shortly after 9/11 when big companies started tightening their belts, causing smaller companies to run out of funding and topple. I was praying that I wouldn't have to go through another lay off, because I'm just too old to have to hassle with finding more work, especially when there is no work. Plus I've got one child (excuse me, adult…) in college and another who will be there in a few years. Annual college costs can be about the same amount as most people’s annual salary or the sum of a year's worth of mortgage payments, so it is important that both parents, if both are alive and present, have jobs. That way one can pay for college while the other pays the bills.

I had a nightmare last night in which I was laid off. Several things that my boss had said to me in real life were repeated in my nightmare; only in the context of mass lay offs. In the nightmare I was thinking, "Oh, that's what he meant."

In my nightmare, I returned to my ex-place of employment to clean out my desk, and only one other person was there. When she left, she didn't see me because I was invisible, and she turned out the lights, locked the doors, and turned on the alarm. I figured I would trigger the alarm by moving around, but I didn't, because I was invisible. I then time-traveled to all the jobs I've had where I've been laid off, and I started cleaning out my desk at each one. I was stuffing my purse and one box until they were overflowing with things I didn't even know I was missing.

In my nightmare, some ladies offered me a job. It turned out that the job was for minimum wage working in a mall at a dollar store, only this dollar store was somewhat odd, because we had to manipulate people into wanting things they didn’t need, and each time we delivered some cheap item to them that we bought for a penny, they had to pay us a dollar.

The nightmare just made me realize how much I love my life and job as they are right now. I don't want anything to change. How many people can say that they can walk out onto their patio and see three beautiful horses looking back at them, ready for fun... or food? My kids are happy and well adjusted and have everything they need. I get ten times more work done working out of my home, and have half the stress.

The thought of having to abandon my horses and dogs for 9 to 10 hours a day while I commute to a new job and work for someone who breathes down my neck really disturbs me. It takes a long time to develop a trust between you and your employer. I don’t want to lose my current employer, because I like the people I work with, and because if I were to be laid off I would have to earn someone else’s trust all over again. I know it was just a nightmare, but it was also a little too close to the current economic reality. I have had many nightmares and dreams come true.

I’m going to fend this one off by focusing on how much I love my current situation. All that appreciation has to count for something. I think my horses like having me home checking on their welfare and giving them pats and treats throughout the day. I know my dogs appreciate me being home to let them out to do their business, and then let them in where they can get out of the elements. It’s also good to be home when my son gets home from school.

There is a lot to be said about the benefits of working from home – benefits for both the employee and the employer. As is, I’m saving about $350 a month in gas, I get ten times more work done from home than when I am in the office, I have more stamina to work longer hours, I’m close to my home gym where I can get into shape on my lunch breaks thus making me more productive, and my blood pressure stays at a healthy reading. I don’t want to lose that. I’m happy. I hope the economy improves so that everyone can be happy.

11 comments:

Twinville said...

If only more companies would offer work-from-home opportunities. Maybe companies could save money and have more happy productive employees.

NM, I hope and pray your at home situation stays just the way you desire. :)

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - I like your new icon.

IamRockinHorse said...

aw, I'm glad it was just a dream. I also dreamed a few weeks ago that my boss called me in and fired me. Jeez, what a dream!

I wish I could work at home like you do. Must be ideal!

Twinville said...

Thanks,NM.Bbut now I'm confused. I have an icon? Where?

~Lisa

Laura said...

You are so right about having stability and being appreciative of what we have.

You are very lucky to work from home. I hope that situation continues for you.

My boss lets me work from home 1 day every two weeks. Even then, she has absolutely no trust that I am working. Like you said, you can get 10x more done without people bothering you all day. I've told her this a million times and she still doesn't believe me. I would love to be home more to take care of my pets, but it isn't in the cards for now.

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you sista!! Focus on the positives.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - I couldn't think of the correct name for it, so I just called it an icon. I'm talking about the picture of you and Baby Doll that shows up with your comment. Isn't it new? Or am I going insane? Again?

Jenn said...

My company just had a second round of buyouts. We're running out of people to take the "voluntary termination" and we're all pretty sure there will be another round after Christmas.

It's scary, yes. But I try not too worry about it TOO much, I'd just worry myself into ulcers!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

NO, I don't think you're insane. If you see it must be so. But darn. I don't see anything next to anyone comments except an tiny box filled with a red square, a blue triangle and a green circle.

Why can't I see the icons/pictures?
I wanna see, too! :)

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I figured out why I couldn't see the icons/pictures.

There's a message that pops up when the comment box is opened.

"Do you want to display the non Secure items" and I always click 'no'.

When I clicked 'yes'...I finally saw what you were talking about.

Way cool and groovy!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention NM :)

~Lisa

Momma / Cowgirl said...

I love my work, I do have to go to an office though, maybe one day I will work out of my home (a dream for now).

I have never been laid off or fired. I am fortunate in that aspect.

I wish I could be home bound to be with my horses more... *Smiles*