Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Gate Crashers

I have to be careful to lock the gate to the round pen, because these little stinkers like to jiggle the handle with their lips, push the gate open with their noses, and swing it back and forth until it breaks. My husband has had to go out and buy a welding machine to repair it in the past.

Who me? I didn't do anything.

In other news, this big stinker wouldn't cooperate in coming out of his stall this morning. Each time I tried to put the halter on him, he raised his head where I couldn't reach it, or he stuck his head out the window. I was late for work, so I said, "FINE! You can stay in your stall then!"

I proceeded to lead the girls out to their feed troughs, and Bombay threw a fit whinnying, snorting, bobbing his head up and down, and kicking his stall wall. I gave him one more chance to let me get the halter on him, and he refused. So, I took my sweet time delivering his hay to his stall. Once he was done eating two hours later, he had no problem lowering his head into that halter. What a jerk.

7 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Isn't it funny how they play games on us? Let me out! Leave me alone! No let me out! Just kidding... Horses are so mental.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I just wanted to clarify that when I call my horse a jerk, I say it with love.

Andrea said...

If he only knew that putting on his halter ment food!! Horses are so silly sometimes. Putting their head down is the first thing I teach a colt. Right now my three year old son can halter my three year old colt. With me standing by him of coarse. I hope your boy gets better.

Twinville said...

Sounds like Bombay was just having a 'toddler temper tantrum' haha! Sometimes horses act like spoiled kids, don't they.

But you did a great job at being the Alpha Mare. :)

He sure is handsome.
And I love that adorable photo of Gabbrielle.

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Jenn said...

What is up with all our critters lately? It's like they can sense the season changes and have their own little crazy moments.

I call my horse a jerk sometimes, too. Affectionately, of course. :)

Callie said...

Sometimes they need a lesson on who's the boss! LOL

Jamie said...

I love it when I go home and the round pen (which is inside my pasture) is moved all around. I caught Jag scratching on it and moving it, and it is a big one.
They are such funny creatures.
I love all those big JERKS !!!