Saturday, September 13, 2008

Seeing Sarah Palin

Potential future Vice President of the United States, Governor Sarah Palin came to visit Northern Nevada today. It was like a rock concert. People are very excited about this candidate. My husband is registered Republican and I am registered Democrat, but we like to keep our minds open to candidates within both parties.

We stood in line for an hour and a half. Officers on horseback did crowd control.


Note the reflectors on the horse's legs.

This is an interesting riding position. The officer was telling us to make the line wider. He wanted six people to a row, because the line was getting backed up into the parking lot if people stood single-file. Several people made their own signs and bought signs while in line, only to have them taken away at the security checkpoint. Only one kind of sign was available once inside the building. We had to walk through metal detectors and a security guard got intimate with my purse. I'm sure he helped himself to some Tampax in there. It's a good thing that I remembered to take my knife out of it before leaving home. I also had a whistle in my purse, and figured they'd confiscate that, so I left it at home too.

Once inside, we discovered that there were no chairs. It was standing room only, and the bleacher seats were all taken. There was no way I was going to be able to stand for another hour and a half, so I sat on the concrete. There were pockets where masses of people were sitting, but not so around me. People just kept crowding around me and kicking me while I was trying to read a book. When it came time to stand up, I couldn't because the people had packed in so tight. I was really scared, but this man behind me saw me struggling, and he grabbed my arm to help me up.

Just when I thought things couldn't get tighter, more late comers started pushing their way up to the front, causing a sardine effect. Then someone farted and I thought I was going to die. Take some GasX before attending functions like these, people! You're killin' me!

The guy in the bright orange cap in the center of the picture is Chuck Yeager! All the politicians were making a beeline for him, so that they could get his autograph.

These three girls did their hair, make-up, and glasses in order to look just like Sarah Palin. What a great role model she is for the younger generations.

And here she is, the Governor of Alaska herself.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

OH, you have FAR more patience for crowds than I do! I panic in very crowded places and have to avoid them or I break out into a sweat, my body temperature rises and my heart races.

What did you think about what she had to say?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Jenn - I can't stand it when people invade my space. I have a very large personal bubble. If I am walking somewhere and someone gets right on my heels, trying to push me faster, I will come to a sudden stop so that they will crash into me and hopefully learn a lesson. I don't do that with my car, though, for obvious reasons. I suppose I'm like a dominant horse who refuses to let others literally push her around. Nobody manipulates the direction and speed that my feet move.

However, when I go into these types of situations I know I will be throwing all personal space to the wind. I was just hoping that people would have the sense not to step on me.

I'm avoiding discussing what she said on purpose. I'll just say that what she and the other Republican politicians said about the Democratic candidates was not true. I'm sure it goes both ways.

Andrea said...

That is so neat that you got to go and listen. My husband and I are different in our political views. I am the Rep. and he is the Demo.. It's always fun around our house on election day. I am not sure who I am going to vote for. I don't really like either parties. Maybe I will vote for the names that don't do all the campaigning.

Shirley said...

We are having an election in Canada too; the thing that bugs me the most about elections is when candidates slam the other parties. You get more flies with honey than vinegar! Besides, it's uncharitable to defame others, and just because it is an election is no excuse.

IamRockinHorse said...

I think all politicians tend to smear each other to some degree. But, hey, you get the MOST flies with "BS". ;)