Monday, September 29, 2008

Staining the Barn

I usually try to stain my barn once a year. I noticed that the sun was really fading and cracking the back of the two original stalls. The wood had lost enough of the last coat of stain that the horses were trying to chew it. In addition to causing teeth marks, the horses also left some hoof scratches where they were pawing at it.

In years past, I always used a redwood stain. However, I was tired of looking at red. This year I chose a cedar penetrating oil, semi-transparent, deck & siding stain. This one went into the wood deep and covered the scratches well.

I find that perfectionism gets replaced with an I-have-better-things-to-do attitude as I get older. The first few times I stained the barn, I carried a rag around and wiped up every drip. I was careful not to let any stain drip onto the green metal. Now look at the mess I made...

Drip, drip, drip...

I figure, "Who cares? The horses will ruin it anyway.

I only was able to cover the back of two stalls and one side before my arm gave out. I'll have to finish the front and other side on another day. Here you can see that the front is red and the side is brown.

I also would like to stain the third, portable stall with the same color so that they match... sort of. One has horizontal wood panels while the other has vertical wood panels. At least I can get them to match in color.

Of course, since I stained, rainclouds have rolled in. It's like washing your car: Murphy's Law.

The stink from the stain did not go away by evening, so I put the blankets on the horses and put them in separate pens for the night. It's looking like I may have to do the same thing again tonight. I really slathered that stuff on thick, because I didn't have the time nor energy to deal with putting on a second coat. One coat vs. two coats is the difference between 3 days and 6 days of my free time. I'd much rather be riding a horse.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

That's a lot of work! Looks very good though. I used to be very, very OCD about things like painting the barn, the hay shed or the chicken house...but now. Eh. As long as it gets done, I'm happy. Have you thought about using a sprayer to cover some of the bigger areas? That's what I finally got for our deck because I was absolutely OVER staining it by brush and roller!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Jenn - I do have a paint sprayer, but it has proven to be more of a pain than a help. You can only put small amounts of paint inside it, or it is too heavy to hold. The paint/stain runs out very quickly and you have to keep stopping to refill it. You also have to stop to deal with clogs, which seem to form every two minutes. I gave it up long ago and am happy with my brushes and rollers. Although, I prefer a brush over a roller, because I can't seem to roll without sraying myself with most of the paint.

Andrea said...

Oh my what a chore! It does look great. And I am like you. The horses don't care what it looks like and they will ruin it anyway. SO, maybe next time you can stain the metal too!! :) Great job and I hope the rain didn't ruin it.

Callie said...

Nice job staining. I think it looks good. Too bad the stink is sticking around!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well as long as it's done. Have fun riding.

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Very pretty color. Love it!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well done. It looks pretty good.

I know what you mean about getting older and stuff hurting, and just not worrying if things look perfect.

I'm still not feeling very good from this virus, but we've had a couple really nice days, and I just now that cold weather is ready to pounce before long. So I headed out to the chicken coop today to finally paint it. (It's been a year since we built it! But we've had cold weather, wind, rain and I just couldn't get to it).

I did get it painted, but now I'm not just sick, but also achy and sore. :P

I did sneak in a quickie bareback ride on Baby Doll, but it got dark before I could really enjoy myself. Bummer.

I hope you can fit in some riding time now that the barn is just about finished painted.

~Lisa