Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Book Tag

Lisa at Laughing Orca Ranch included me in this book tag.

*Here are the rules:
1) Grab the nearest book.
2) Open the book to page 56.
3) Find the fifth sentence.
4) Post the text of the next two to five sentences.
5) Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book or the intellectual one --
pick the closest.
6) Tag five people to do the same.

This is the closest book to me: "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden.

Here is the excerpt:

"Her name was Teacher Mizumi, and this is what we called her to her face. But her surname of Mizumi sounds very close to nezumi -- 'mouse'; so behind her back we called her Teacher Nezumi -- Teacher Mouse.

Teacher Mouse knelt on a cushion facing the class and made no effort at all to look friendly. When the students bowed to her in unison and told her good morning, she just glowered back at them without speaking a word. Finally she looked at the board on the wall and called out the name of the first student."

And with that I will call out the names of five more people to participate. These are random names. If you read yours, then consider yourself tagged:

Dick
Jane
Jack
Jill
Val (smirk)

(You don't even know how hard I'm laughing right now.)

10 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm not on the tag list, but I'm gonna play anyway:

Closest book: Domestic Violence: A Handbook for Journalists
Page 56 is a bar graph...so I went to page 57

"The family pets can also be caught in the violence perpetrated within the household. Of women seeking shelter for domestic violence, 71% reported that their partner had threatened to harm, or actually harmed or killed at least one of their pets."

Hmmm...I need better books on my desk.

C-ingspots said...

Your horses are absolutely beautiful! I love Arabian's faces and your scenery's not so bad either!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Jenn - That paragraph turned out to be perfect for this blog. It reminds me of an old job I had working for a non-profit organization that included counseling for domestic violence victims and perpetrators. This book tag is rather fun, especially when you hit some text that feels like it is more than just a coincidence. I like to ask the universe questions, and point to text in books for an answer to see if it fits.

C-ingspots - Thank you!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Now you've got me laughing.
(Val's computer has a virus, though, so she's temporarily out of action. But I'll tell her...she's sort of, been tagged. lol!
She's reading 'Grapes of Wrath' right now for History class. That should be a fun one to write up, eh?)

Honestly, though, Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my favorite books. I watched the movie for the first time recently and fell in love all over again. So complex, rich and emotional.
My kind of book (movie) :)

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Thanks for passing along the message. Val doesn't have to do this, of course. I just needed to get revenge for her tag-back. I just started reading Geisha, and I love it. It's been a while since I've read really good literature. I've been over-saturated with those dry horse training manuals.

Callie said...

Good grief what an interesting game!

Vaquerogirl said...

I wanna play too!
The book on my table is Hackamore Reinsman-
"As colts progress from day to day they should not be ridden on cattle every time they are ridden.They should be worked at the set and turn by themselves about four times on each side,the rider always being careful that he does not sour them on it. "
Sounds dull huh! I guess that is why I have never made it as far as page 56

Andrea said...

What a fun tag!! I never read that book but I saw the movie. It was very good.

Rising Rainbow said...

The nearest book for me is a computer thing of some kind, how boring that would be. LOL

equineobsessed said...

OK, my husband made Pancakes from scratch this morning (out of bisquick) and left the Betty Crocker's Cookbook (1979 Edition) by my computer. Soooo, Page 56 has Curried Bratwurst at the top/left. 5th 'sentence' is: Place each bratwurst on 1 slice bread. spoon about 2 Tablespoons sauce onto each bratwurst..... (Sauce is: 3/4 c catsup, 1 T Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/4 t curry powder, 3/4 t paprika). Sounds yummy and supposed to be "hearty and homestyle with chilled Potatos Salad or (yuck!) Hot Fried Hominy.... Very Interesting and fun game... c