Friday, October 31, 2008

Keep Your Pets Safe on Halloween

I just wanted to share with you an experience I had years ago on Halloween that still gives me a fright when I think about it. I was supervising my kids while they were out trick or treating. At one house, a teen aged girl opened the door and her little dog ran out. She called out to it half-heatedly, and it ignored her. She said, "Oh no!" and looked off into the distance with a worried expression.

I said, "I'll get your dog," not having any idea what I was getting myself into.

The dog was sniffing around her front lawn, and each time I approached it to pick it up, it scurried away. I called to it, and it ignored me. Of course, I doubted it would pay attention to a stranger if it wouldn't come for its owner. The dog ran out into the street. I thought, "Well, at least there aren't any cars in the road."

Just then a woman in an SUV, who looked like she was trying to hurry home from work, came barreling around the corner. She was looking left and right, gawking at the kids in their costumes on the sides of the road, driving way over the speed limit, and not looking ahead to see what she was driving toward.

There was no way I was going to let that teen aged girl watch her little dog get plowed down by this careless driver right after I promised her I would get her dog and bring it back. I also didn't want a tragedy burned into the brains of all those children who were out trick or treating.

I ran out into the road waving my arms above my head, coming at the driver from such an angle that she'd be likely to spot me without hitting me. She slammed on her brakes, and the little dog ran under the front of her car. I walked around the driver's side and bent over to see if I could reach the dog, but the woman still hadn't seen the dog and didn't know what what going on. She stepped on the gas.

All I can figure out is that she must have thought I was some nut who was going to accost her or play a trick on her. I jumped up, threw my palm out and yelled, "STOP!!!"

She braked hard again. I yelled, "There's a dog under your car! Just wait!"

However, I don't think she could hear me, because she was too frightened to roll down her window. I bent down again, and she stepped on the gas again. At this point the dog was between her front and rear tire. By now everyone in the vicinity was yelling, "STOP!!!" and waving their arms.

I snatched the dog up right before the rear tire ran over it, held the dog up to the driver to show her what was going on, and she looked back over her shoulder at me with a humiliated expression. Still she didn't stop and roll down her window to apologize, but simply drove off.

Even if you have well trained pets at home, please keep them locked up in a back room during the hours when trick or treaters ring your doorbell. You never know, you might turn your back on the door to grab a bowl of candy, and your cat might slink out without anyone noticing. Be safe and have fun.

8 comments:

Train Wreck said...

OMG!! You are so brave!! Good for you! People are ignorant sometimes!! Where was the owner durining all this!! I would have done the same thing you did. Good thing you did too!! It would have been terrible to witness!

nikki said...

I'm so glad you were able to save that dog! I thought for sure this story was going to have a sad ending. That was a very close call though!

sue said...

Oh my goodness!!! I actually gave that speech to all my obedience classes this week (along with the "watch the candy" speech).. If you don't mind, i would like to share you story with them this coming week.... and you're right even the most obedience trained dog.. if frightened might not think to obedy....

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Sue - You can use this story with your dog obedience classes every year around Halloween, if you wish.

OnTheBit said...

wow...that really was scary! I am glad that neither you or the dog got hurt!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow. I was terrified to read further afraid that the dog was going to be ran over.
Kudos to you for rescuing it in such an crazy situation.
Shame on that lady for not even trying to find out what was going on.

NM, you must have looked like very scary person that she wouldn't even roll her window down to talk to you. lol!

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Yeah, and I wasn't even wearing a costume!

Andrea said...

What a stupid lady! She should have at least said sorry. You were so brave to go and get that little doggie!! My old dog won't listen to me when he sets his mind to chasing something. I will have to work on that.