Friday, December 12, 2008

Batten Down the Hatches

I've been seeing a lot of blog posts about snow recently, and my turn here in Northern Nevada should be coming up soon. We're expecting 80 MPH winds tonight followed by a series of snowstorms. My son and I ran outside to batten down the hatches. We tied down the hay tarp...

We scrubbed out and filled all the water troughs, and then plugged in the de-icers. I piled rocks into the food troughs so that they wouldn't blow away...

Bombay says, "What me? I'm not worried..."

Lostine and Gabbrielle report that they're not worried either. They've got evil evening eyes that ward off the cold...

They've got their blankets and fresh stall shavings...

"This stinkin' wind is mussin' up my hair, though."

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

That's a lot of wind. We only had 50 mph the other day and that was enough. You look like you've got it under control though. Stay warm.

Andrea said...

It's good they have such a great mom to take care of them. It's a lot of work to get everything ready for storms. I hope you don't get hit too hard!!

Kim said...

You know it's winter time when: You got to batten down the hatches! heh. I put the hay trough in the barn stall my 1 Arab gelding has, and he can go in and out of the barn anytime. And I intend to buy and put in a water bucket heater in this year, so when it snows.. which by the sounds of it, it will start snowing anytime now, (and it rained an a lot today, and it was REALLY windy too!) the water will be warm and there will be no ice. No ice, that will be nice!

Kim said...

BTW, I love the manes on them, and Bombay is just so cute. And Lostine is so pretty, I love how long her fore mane is. And Gabbrielle cutely hides behind Lostine.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Hopefully, the storms will delay until you'te ready for them.

I love that your horses (especially Lostine) have such long forelocks. My horses have pitiful forelocks!

Cheryl said...

Snow is forecast up in our mountains tonight. It was 39 degrees today at noon when we visited the horses, and misting. I gave them extra rations. I'll drive up tomorrow, if I can.

Jenn said...

What a great idea to put rocks in the trough. I would have never thought of it!