Saturday, December 27, 2008

Goodies

I usually don't think about what I need in the horse department until spring or summer, but since horse tack is so expensive I decided to request what I would need for the next year for Christmas, so that the money was being spent on stuff I really could use and would end up purchasing later on anyway.

In addition to the new trail saddle and bridle that my husband gave me for our 20th anniversary, he gifted me with a horn bag and Easyboot Epics along with a couple of gaiters for my old Easyboots for Christmas. Now I'm all set for the trails... once the weather warms up and I retrain the horses (since they are going to be out of practice for so long thanks to this extra cold winter.) Argh! The suspense of waiting for riding weather is killing me.

I'm keeping the saddle in my bedroom until we can put together a cable and padlock for our horse trailer. The built-in saddle rack is in the back of my horse trailer where there is no lock, while the tackroom portion of the trailer has multiple locks. I love waking up to a saddle next to my bed each morning. Ahhhh, the simple pleasures that only a horse woman can appreciate.

Someone requested that I post about the anniversary gift that I gave my husband. He ended up choosing a 42" Vizio flat-screen TV and picked out a nice new cedar entertainment center with mahogany stain and slate trimming. This is a real big deal for us, because up until recently all of our furniture has either been hand-me-downs from my parents or press-board Wal-Mart specials.

It seems odd that both my husband and I can work our whole lives and not be able to really furnish our house until our oldest child leaves for college, but that's the state of things. This ain't the 1950's where one parent can work one job to provide for an entire family and live comfortably. Of course, we all know that if I didn't own horses there would be a lot of money left over for other things, but we tend to get more enjoyment out of our family members than our inanimate objects.

We are new to high-definition entertainment, so I called DirecTV to see if we needed a new box to get the full effect of an HD TV. The salesman claimed I not only needed a new box, but new cables and a new satellite dish! And it's "only" going to cost me $120 plus $50 installation plus an extra $9.95 a month! WTF? He insisted that it is well worth it. I'm already impressed that I can actually read the text on the 42" screen as opposed to the puny TV we were watching previously. How much better can it get?

Well, this was a gift for my husband, so I went ahead and ordered the high definition upgrade. It's been over their 72-hour limit, and no one has called yet to set up the appointment to install the upgrade. DirecTV treated me really well as a new customer and they came out literally the very next day to set me up, but I guess they are backlogged with holiday wishes this time around. What do you think? Is it worth the extra cost to get high definition?

14 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is a lovely new saddle! I'm jealous!
Look at that stack of easyboots, lol!!

Your tv and stand are gorgeous. I have a large projection tv that doesn't work. I loved watching it because I didn't even need glasses to see writing, like the cast. I especially like to watch movies. I don't want to get rid of it but I don't know how much it's going to cost to fix. I think it might be the bulb or something.

dp said...

Holy moly! That stack of EasyBoot boxes is awesome (though I think I'll be switching to Renegades) and that TV is out of this world. A bumper crop this year -- enjoy it!

lytha said...

oh, you have a stack of easyboot epics! i have been waiting 9 weeks for mine to arrive from america - i ordered one on ebay and it never came. i am so bummed, and even moreso to see your stack. *whine*

(i ordered only one cuz i'm not sure it will fit both front feet.)

i wonder if i'll ever even get my money back...

~lytha

Leah Fry said...

Umm, nice electronics, but tell me about your saddle. Can you tell where my heart lies as well? I just bought a new trail saddle - Tucker High Plains. Same color, but no tooling.

I don't have a barn, the shed is full of tools and stuff, and I just have a stock trailer, so my tack is stored inside by default. Having it climate controlled sure has its advantages, especially when it comes to cleaning and conditioning.

AnnL said...

I know just what you mean about furnishing the house. If it weren't for the horses (and dogs and cats) I would have some much nicer furniture.

I don't watch TV enough to make it woth the extra money for HDTV. But, if you, your husband and kids watch TV and enjoy it, then it's probably worth it.

fernvalley01 said...

Nice gift! I love that you bought your hubby something as well . So many people just expect the man to buy an aniversary gift. I don't get it it is after all his aniversary too! My hubby and I tend to buy something togather for US on our aniversary.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

FV - The last thing I want to do is make you jealous. So sorry.

DP - Hmmmm. I don't know about Renegades. I originally wanted Old Macs, but couldn't find them at the feed store where I had a gift certificate. So, I settled for EasyBoots, which worked out well, but only for the front feet of one horse. People warned me that they can fall off, so I wanted to get the gaiters, plus two more boots for the front hooves of my mare. I wrote down that I wanted a "set" in her size, but should have said "pair", because my husband interpreted a "set" as 4. My gelding's hind hooves are the size of my mare's front hooves, so now he has one for each hoof and she has a pair for her front hooves. I didn't mean to get that many.

Lytha - Do you think the seller ripped you off? I would definitely give them a bad review to warn off other buyers.

Leah - Mine is a Tucker High Plains too. I wrote about it in a couple of previous posts, which is why I didn't go into great detail here.

Ann - It's probably worth it to my husband. He notices the difference in quality when it comes to electronics.

fernvalley - If my husband and I shared more of the same interests, we'd probably buy something for us too, but we usually end up buying each other a gift and going out to dinner. Since this was the big two-oh, we went overboard. We've got five years to save up for the next big anniversary.

Callie said...

A belated Merry Christmas to you and your family! Nice saddle! I'm sorry for the loss of your Simba doggie, just before the holidays. Take care!

Amanda said...

WOOHOO Was Santa ever good yto you. I recently got a new trail saddle with all the matching gear and am so proud of it. It is an Alleganey Mountain. Looks like you got a comfy seat. Oh yeah, the older i get the more softer a seat i need.

Andrea said...

Lovely tack goodies!! And it is nice waking up to a nice new leather saddle. I could almost smell it from here!! Sigh....

And my hsuband is obsessed with high def. stuff. Your husband has a beautiful entertainment center!! WOW!! My husband really wants to upgrade our dish network too. We have a sony flat screen and he has all sorts of wires coming out of the wall for high def. stuff. But I can't tell the difference. He swears he can??? Men!!

Jenn said...

My husband is like yours. He bought himself a hi-def plasma this summer and invested in the DirecTv hi-def upgrade. I was skeptical...but honestly...the upgrade was worth it! You can see details you never knew existed with the hi-def...and you can definitely see a difference when a commercial or movie that isn't in hi-def comes on after a hi-def movie.

I'd say it's worth it, especially since you just invested in the hi-def TV. I love the entertainment center he picked out...the man has good taste! And as for furniture..mine is falling apart, but all the horses got new blankets this year. Pathetic, isn't it? :P

Leah Fry said...

I thought your saddle looked a lot like mine! Mine isn't tooled. Suggestion: condition the daylights out of the fenders and stirrup leathers and store the saddle with a dowel twisting them into proper position. Mine is already responding well; the stirrups stay pretty much perpendicular to the saddle.

Know what I found at Sergeant's at half price?! A matching Tucker leather canteen holder that hooks onto one of the rings.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh no, NM, I'm jealous in a good way! I'm very happy for you! I have always been very spoiled when it comes to material things. I have gotten lots of "goodies" in my life!
When I rented my first apartment, my Dad GAVE me a tv set even though I objected profusely on the grounds that I didn't want or need it. I had a stereo and I was happy with that.

Jackie said...

We got an HD TV a year ago along with the DirectTV upgrade, and it is definitely worth it! There are times that the picture on the HD will actually look worse than a regular TV if you don't have the HD programming ... the picture pixilates. If you're going to have the TV, it is definitely worth it to go the extra mile and get the HD programming and equipment.