Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Me, Me, and Me Again

Jaime at Seatbelt for my Saddle tagged me for a me-me.

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you.
Post the rules on your blog.
Write six random things about yourself.
Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Here are six new (I hope) and random things about myself:

1. I have decided today that I am going to start practicing patience. Because I have so many responsibilities and so few hours in the day, I'm always moving as fast as I can and getting impatient with others who move slower than I do. I often throw tantrums when obstacles jump in my path. For instance, just now while I was typing this, the battery on my mouse died so I had to replace it. Did I plan for that? No. Did I have a spare moment to take care of it? Not really. Did I throw a tantrum? No. Normally I would, but today I am practicing patience. (I love blogging and doing me-mes, though, so I'll always make time for them.)

2. I am jealous of my own mother, because she grew up in an era where she was not forced by economic circumstances to work outside the home. She was spoiled by my father, as he hired a cleaning service to clean the house and gardeners to take care of the outside so that she wouldn't have any responsibility beyond doing the marketing and fixing dinner each night. I'm all for women's liberation, but wish there was less pressure on women to do it all now-a-days.

3. I'm cheap when it comes to expenses that I can't justify. I bought my wedding dress for $14 because I couldn't see the point in making my father part with thousands of dollars of his hard-earned cash so that I could look pretty on one day of my life. And, oh yeah, I'm not a romantic, nor am I sentimental.

4. My mother and I are animal fanatics. It was really easy to talk her into buying me that guinea pig at the pet store. She couldn't resist. We had mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, dogs, turtles, fish... My favorites were the guinea pigs and rabbits, but I developed an allergy to them when I moved to Nevada's dry climate. I think the humidity of California kept the pet dander at bay or something. So, now I tell my fuzzy Corgi Midge and my fuzzy filly Gabbrielle that they are my bunnies.

5. I love to get my angst out by playing a shoot 'em up video game every once in a while. Don't worry. It won't carry over into real life. I don't plan on going postal any time soon.

6. I am jinxed when it comes to timing. For instance, I was sitting at my home office desk all day long working, and the minute I got up to go outside to put the horses in their stalls, my boss sent me an instant message. Of course, I wasn't there to answer which made me look bad. If I go outside for one minute to pick up the mail, that is always when the phone rings with an important call. Usually right when I put my foot in the stirrup to mount, an 18-wheeler drives up the street or a firecracker goes off. When I drive somewhere, I discover that had I left one minute earlier I could have avoided getting stuck in traffic because of an accident or the setting up of road construction. I'm often the driver who gets stopped at every red light. What does Father Time have against me anyway?

Since I did do a me-me recently, I'm not going to tag anyone else unless you haven't been tagged yet and want to participate. Consider this an open invitation.

5 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I like your six things. #6 sounds like what happens to me all the time too. I've learned to always leave plenty of time to get where I'm going and look around before I put my foot in the stirrup. Except the last time I actually rode, about 70 or so noisy motorcycles went right past us on the street. Luckily, I was riding Blue who never even looked up.
I've heard patience is a virtue, I'll also have to try and be more virtuous.

Andrea said...

14 Bucks!! Girl you are thrifty!! But it totally makes sense if you think about it.

And wow, a cleaning service!! One day, I will have one, one day. For now, I am the cleaning service.

Vaquerogirl said...

As Maxine says " That which doesn't kill me....usually pisses me off!"

Practice makes perfect~ remember to just breathe....

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Hard to believe you found a dress for $14!! I am cheap too. I got married in a gunny sack dress, well Gunny Sax, really. It cost me almost $200 rather than 3 or 4 times that in the bridal shops.

#6- it called Murphy's Law- happens to me too! What about meeting a bicycle on a two lane highway with only one other car on the road at exactly the same place as you and the bicycle? That ALWAYS happens to me.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

You actually couldn't tell it was a $14 dress. It was off-white and tea-length, but very beautiful with lots of lace and tailoring. I found it at a wholesale warehouse.

That two oncoming cars and a bicycle scenario happens to me every day! OMG! It drives me crazy. I can see the problem ahead of time, so I slow down or speed up to try to stagger with the other driver, but the other driver always makes adjustements that result in us passing the bicyclist at the exact same time anyway. It also amazes me how the bicyclists never take the roads that have bicycle lanes and shoulders. They always choose the narrowest, most highly traveled roads with the highest speed limits. Do they have a death wish?