Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pranks, Presents, Ponying, and Poop

I apologize for the lack of photos. I've been so busy and by the time I think to ask someone to take a picture of me working with the horses, I'm already committed in the saddle. Perhaps someday I'll be able to ride my horses right into the house and yell for someone to bring a camera.

That reminds me of a funny story. When my mother was a young girl, her father took her to a horse auction and bought an old bay gelding for her named Scout. That horse was so tolerant and passive that it allowed my mother to lead it into the house. My mother and her brother would leave Scout standing in the kitchen and then hide so that they could see their mother's reaction when she finds a horse in her kitchen. My grandmother viewed horses as nothing more than big rats, so she'd scream and grab a broom, and start waving it in the air to herd Scout back out of the house while my mother and her brother laughed their butts off. Scout just quietly turned around and went out the back door like he was bored with the whole thing.

Today I did some shopping for Christmas gifts. I am very concerned about all the families that are currently out of work, so I'm buying gifts for children and teenagers in needy families and donating food. We really need everyone to pitch in with charitable contributions more this year than ever before. I am stressed out since I can lose my job at any time and am putting my daughter through college, but ultimately I still have a lot more in the bank than some of these families that have been out of work for some time now. It's hard to just buy gifts for relatives who really don't need anything and turn the other cheek on people who are simply trying to figure out where their next meal is coming from. I've been there, and I always wished that people had helped me when I was hungry, homeless and out of work.

There was still a little bit of light left in the day when I got done wrapping presents, so I saddled up Lostine and just rode her around my property. Gabbrielle approached us, so I had Lostine stand still to let Gabbrielle sniff us and inspect the tack. I could see the wheels turning in her head as she soaked it all in. I scratched her all over her face, neck and body with my riding crop. She seemed perfectly comfortable having me up high above her, so I encouraged her to walk along side Lostine and I as we went on a little "trail ride" around the paddock. You could say I "ponied" her without a lead rope.

I wanted to spend more time this weekend ground driving Gabbrielle, but I figured my neighbors might appreciate me using the last bit of light to clean up that week's worth of manure piled up along the fence line. I scooped and I scooped until there was nothing left to scoop, and then I heard "plop-plop" and suddenly there was more to scoop. What's up with that?

7 comments:

Vaquerogirl said...

Funny story about Scout. When I was a kid I used to bring my pony into the kitchen so I could get breakfast. When my Mom found out she hit the roof!
My Hubby says that he knows someday he'll come home to find Desi on the couch! Isn't that silly! Everyone knows Desi doesn't like the Couch- he wants the recliner!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

lol, I think I'd freak out if a horse was in my kitchen!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh, and "pretend ponying" Gabbrielle is a great idea. If Lostine will put up with it you may want to go ahead and use a halter and lead. It's a great way to get youngsters used to the outside world. Gabby seems very level headed, I'll bet she'd be very easy to pony.

Jenn said...

It's tough out there for a lot of families this year. We are holding our heads above water and donating what we can to those who aren't as lucky as we are. One of my friends told her kids she was spending X on their gifts this year and that half of X would be donated to a charity of their choice.

I'd like to be able to pony Gabe, but neither of my other horses have ever ponied. I know Gabe has been ponied, but I don't know how the other ones would react. I guess the only way to find out is to just do it, eh?

Andrea said...

I don't get that eigther, why do they do that, make a new pile when you have it all cleaned up? LOL

And your mother is hilarious!! Your poor grandmother!! LOL!! OH that was funny!

There are a lot of people out there whe need help this Christmas. It's so sad. We are cutting back a lot this year. I told the kids that Jesus only recieved three gifts to they are only going to get three gifts. It's a little tight everywhere. You are so good to help out.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh no, NM! You really really should leave that poop right there at the edge of your property. Maybe that's what your neighbors need as a reminder to stay away. Let it get higher and higher and then you won't even need to build a wall! lol! (jk, of course, but just a little.)

Way to go Gabbrielle! And Lostine, too. Aren't you seeing a great riding future with Gabbrielle?

I think I could probably bring Baby Doll into our house, though our kitchen is too small for my big girl.
We have tile floors and I'm sure I'd be holding my breath as I watched her hooves crack them. gah!

~Lisa
New Mexico

Shirley said...

One of the mares I sold last year was my husband's parade horse; He was riding around the town of Black Diamond and a local soda-shop owner invited him in, horse and all. I have a picture of it somewhere. And speaking of poop, she left her "calling card" in the store, much to the disgust of a little boy who was there!