Thursday, December 18, 2008

Spoiled Wife Alert

My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary today. We weren't in much of a position to take a vacation together, so we gave each other gifts and went out to dinner. I got him a bottle of wine, a wine bottle stopper and a silver frame containing a clock and a poem I wrote to thank him for the past 20 years. I also said we could go shopping together to get that big flat-screen HD TV he's had on the brain, which will require some new furniture or a wall mount kit. Because we live in a rural community, it's hard to find what we need locally. A shopping trip to Reno is an all day ordeal, but offers more choices. I could have ordered a TV over the Internet, but didn't know where I could hide it to surprise him. He likes shopping, so I decided to put control in his hands.

Here comes the really exciting part... I had gone outside to pick up the mail and when I returned there was a large item covered by a blanket sitting in the middle of the living room. I removed the blanket and found THIS...

It's the Cadillac of all saddles: A High Plains Tucker Trail Saddle! If you've been following my blog a while, you know that I have issues with my old saddles. My comfy Circle Y Mojave Arabian model fits my gelding alright, but always rides up over the withers and onto the neck of my mare. So, I've been riding in a really uncomfortable, cheap synthetic saddle by American Saddlery with my mare. I wanted a comfy saddle that would fit her since it is looking like she's going to be my trail riding horse. I also wanted a saddle that would allow me to maintain the proper equitation position with my legs underneath me, because my Mojave saddle tends to pull my legs out in front of me. I gave my husband printouts of four saddles I've had my eye on, and he picked out this one because it was high quality and could be customized to my needs.

While I was squishing down the gel padding in the seat and fondling the tooling, my son started taking pictures of me with what I thought was his camera. My husband said, "Give her the camera and let her see the pictures."

My son handed me the camera and I felt confused and disoriented for a few seconds. This didn't look like my son's camera, and it had a purple bow on the side. Surely, the saddle is more than enough of an anniversary gift. He couldn't have gotten me a new camera too...

He got me a new camera! Just in the nick of time, too, because my other digital camera was on the fritz. It was struggling to connect to my computer to upload pictures and much of the time videos would not upload at all. My old digital camera is a Kodak EasyShare DX7630. I've been serving on a Kodak survey panel for a while now hoping to win a new camera from Kodak, but no such luck so far. This new camera that my husband gave me as a gift is the Canon Power Shot SX10 IS. It has a 20x zoom lens.

Some of you may remember that my son recently got a new camera, but that is his camera and it is a DSLR, which is too complicated for me. I need something that is point and shoot and can take videos. Once I get some more experience with it, I'll write a review.

I haven't had the chance to see if the saddle fits my mare yet, because we were suffering through bitterly cold high winds and it was getting dark outside. Hopefully, tomorrow will offer a few minutes of decent weather so that I can lay that baby on her. I wasn't kidding when I titled this post "Spoiled Wife Alert". Please don't hate me. Now that we made all these major purchases, I'll probably get laid off from my job come Monday. That's the way it always goes in the software industry when the economy gets bad. At least we're doing our share to keep Tucker Trail Saddles, Canon cameras, and whatever TV brand we buy in business.

This is kind of our last chance to spoil each other because we're going to be paying college tuitions for the next 7 to 10 years. I certainly feel satisfied. All a woman needs is a good man, a good saddle, and a good camera to record it all. (Sigh. Get your mind out of the gutter, will ya?)

14 comments:

Gideon Zed said...

You are finally the first blog I found even worth commenting on... new to this and wanted to say how sweet of your hubby. Happy Aniversary!

Rising Rainbow said...

A saddle and a camera......you're right, you are spoiled! Good for you. Can't wait to hear how the saddle fits and the camera works.LOL

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

"A woman needs a good man, a good saddle, and a good camera to record it all." eh?

What gutter? lol! You have to admit those words do conjure up some interesting images, though, NM!

Nope, don't hate you. I'm actually quite happy for you! Any couple that survives 20 years of marriage together deserves special treatment from each other. CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!!

I thought I loved my Amish made Eli Miller saddle, but that Tucker is sweeeet! And you know I love my gel pad seat. And I know you're just gonna love yours. It makes a huge difference in riding comfort.

I'm a little envious of your camera, though. As you know I'm still emotional about my camera that was stolen in October. It's been no fun taking pictures since my loss. The joy is gone. :(

I've mentioned to Santa that my wish is to have a new camera for Christmas (with lots of zoom, too! And macro and a large LCD screen), so hopefully I'll be surprised on Chrismtas morning. Think positive thoughts for me, k?

But I'm just so happy for you. I bet you're walking around with a smile on your face right now. Yay!

Please post some photos of your gorgeous saddle on your horses, especially Lostine, soon. And get yourself up in the saddle, too. I've not seen any new photos of you for a long while. :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

lytha said...

NM wow. and, i'd like to see the HDTV once it's up.

i have an old canon powershot and i love it - the batteries make a nice grip - you feel like you'd never drop this camera while clicking away on the back of a horse.

also, so many people have canons, if you hand it to a stranger and ask them to take a pic of you, likely they'll know exactly what to do, zoom and all. cool.

i think your canon is the one i saw in the store recently cuz of the zoom. i couldn't believe that zoom. i wanted it so bad.

but now i have you to test it out for me and let me know. i think you'll love it. tip: get a case with a loop that's supposed to go on your belt, but works perfectly well on a breastcollar of a horse: ) also, i find the canon upload software stupid, it often uploads them out of order, so i always cancel the transfer program as soon as i plug it in, and just go to "my computer" and find the camera and transfer the files to my photos folder. YMMV - actually yours will probably work right.

btw, the circle y is my favorite western saddle - i just remember it fitting my short backed baasha really well. but sadly western saddles hurt my knees from the fenders being so inflexible. i hope the best for you and your pretty saddle. let it fit, let it fit.. i like that seat - it is nice and level!

~lytha, rambling and happy for you

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

I love hearing when people are spoiled by their spouses! :-) That Tucker saddle is gorgeous. I have a printout of their catalogue on my bedside table and have been drooling over them for a month or so.

I really hope it fits your gang - can't wait to hear how it goes and if you like the saddle!

The canons are great cameras - we have one very similar to yours and it works like a dream for us "point and shooters"!

Flying Lily said...

Wow your husband is a definite keeper! What perfect anniversary presents - both of them. Tucker saddles are the bomb. Super well made and they are so comfortable. Congratulations to both of you on the anniversary and many many happy returns!

Katee said...

Lucky girl! That saddle is gorgeous and I really hope it fits your mare. It feels so good to be spoiled every once in awhile, doesn't it?

My husband is also a shopper when it comes to things like HDTVs. Shopping for them and comparing them and quizzing electronic store employees are all part of his joy.

Take some pictures of that saddle soon!

Lulu said...

Wow!!! What a good husband!!! I am VERY happy for you and your wonderful gifts!

Jamie said...

You will love this saddle. I have a tucker also and LOVE it. Bear also rides in one and we consider them the best saddle we have ever owned. And we stay in them 8 hours at a time.
Congrats to you.
I am a spoiled wife also, I got a new frig, new dishwasher, and still have 7 presents under the tree !!!
Congrats to you both also for 20 years.

Jenn said...

Whose mind was in the gutter? *grin*

What wonderful anniversary gifts! The 20th is a biggie, so I'd say you EARNED the saddle and the camera. Congratulations on both the anniversary and the new toys.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear that people are happy with their Tuckers and Canons.

Lisa - I already have been keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get a new camera for Christmas. The pictures of me stopped when my kids went back to school. My daughter is home now. I had her take pictures of me yesterday, but couldn't post them because in every picture there was something in the background that I wouldn't want in the hands of someone with bad intentions. I try to be careful about not including photos that display license plates, street signs, addresses, or names in the background, since anyone can view my blog. So, I'll try again with the new camera and pay closer attention to the setting.

Train Wreck said...

Oh what a sweet fella! Congratulations! He is one in a million. Ok maybe two? he he. How thoughtful to get you such great gifts. Beautiful saddle, very nice camera. ((Hugs)) to you happy lady!

Andrea said...

Congrats on your anniversary!! What a fun day. And your husband gets the award for husband of the year!! A way cool saddle and a camera!! I am so excited for you!!

Congrats and I am glad you had a wonderful day!! If the neighbors could see you now!! Whuahahahaaa!!

Shirley said...

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary, and how great that you got to spoil each other.