Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What's Up With the New Look?

You are looking at my 15-year-old son's Christmas present to me. For the past year that I've been blogging, my son has been trying to talk me into changing the Blogger template I've been using for this Nuzzling Muzzles website. "Everyone uses that template," he argued.

"That's because it's clean and easy to read with a nice color scheme," I said.

To appease him, I did investigate a number of less popular Blogger templates, but there was always some sacrifice I had to make, some widget I had to give up due to limitations on the new template. After hours upon hours of redesigning my site with new templates, I gave up and kept my original choice.

This holiday season my son bought this template for me, and he spent hours upon hours troubleshooting to make it work. We quickly discovered that it was designed for the FireFox browser, and a number of bugs showed up in Internet Explorer. He pulled his dad into helping fix a number of problems, and together they came up with solutions for each issue. It turned out to be a very valuable experience for my son. In the process of making my Christmas gift, he learned some web design skills that he can use once he gets out into the wonderful world of labor.

I like the idea of blogging in the rich brown dirt of earth. I love the green pasture in the header, the blue butterflies fluttering up from the grass, and the orange sunrise or sunset. The horses are there. They are just hidden in between the hills. My biggest priority is to make sure that the text offers a large enough font and a big enough contrast with the background that it is easy to read. I think this template fits in well with those guidelines.

Thank you, Colt, for the great Christmas gift! Did I mention that my son is a person of many talents? He plays many musical instruments, his creative writing skills put mine to shame, he has an eye for photography, he can pitch a mean fastball, own the basketball court as well as the tennis court, and he can kick anyone's butt at a friendly game of WarRock. Oh, and let's not forget that he can clean a horse stall and wash the dishes like a pro.

11 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Looks great! Merry Christmas!

Jenn said...

I do like the new look. When I first opened your page I thought I was in the wrong place! I agree, I like the brown background. Easy on the eyes, and that really is the most important thing to me...I steer away from those blogs whose background and text color make my eyes cross.

You have quite a talented son there!

Mrs Mom said...

Wow! looks fantastic! Great job there Number One Son!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, NM, to you and yours!

Andrea said...

Great new blog look!! I love it!! I am partial to browns!! Very nice! And what a wonderful gift from your son! Merry Christmas to you!! What a real talented wonderful son you have! He did a great job!!

Jessie said...

What a nice change! I love it!

Cheryl said...

I LOVE the new look! It's very clean and I, too, love the brown! Your son sounds like ours! He writes better than I do, he has a wicked sense of humor, but he looks like me and my dad. I also see a lot of my grandfather in him. He can fix ANYTHING! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

photogchic said...

Love it! What a great gift. Have a wonderful holiday.

KD said...

I too like the new look !

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehehe Invisible horses there in the hills....Looks great, NM! Way to go Colt!

~Lisa
New Mexico

Pony Girl said...

I love the new look, NuzzMuzz! ;) I am proud of your son! WOW! Can I borrow him for a bit? I'm going to work on my blog design for the new year and I am terrified to even attempt such an endeavor! I could really use a consultant, LOL! I know nothing about html or whatever they call it! ;-) Hope your holiday was merry and bright!

ranchette said...

I love the new look!