Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bummer

I've been looking forward to trying out this used Arabian saddle that my equitation instructor was going to bring to me, but he just called and the deal is off. When he went to go pick up the saddle, the seller informed him that she decided not to sell it. She sold all her horses, so I really don't know why she needs to keep the saddle. At any rate, the more I thought about it, I realized that I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to try out a used Arabian saddle. They can be hard to find. Just when I started thinking it was too good to be true, this bad news came, so I guess it was too good to be true.

I know of some people who are wishy-washy in selling their horses too. Some little girl gets her heart set on buying a pony, only to have the seller change her mind overnight and announce that the pony isn't for sale anymore. Talk about taking candy away from a child after you've already given it to her. I had one seller do that to me, so I learned not to be too enthusiastic about the horse. It's good to point out the horse's flaws to the seller, so that the seller will want to get rid of the horse. If you give the horse too much praise, the seller will think she's making a mistake and change her mind. Oh well, I guess I will have to just find something else to look forward to now.

My next post was going to be about the saddle and my equitation instruction, but I cancelled the lesson since he couldn't bring the saddle. I really wasn't planning on restarting my riding lessons until late spring anyway. I have a strong aversion to riding in the cold, and I'm still not over this cold virus I've had for the past month. I don't want to do anything to aggravate it. I can't even talk to my coworkers over the phone without having coughing fits -- just think what doing the posting trot for an hour would do to my lungs. Plus I need my lunch breaks to clean stalls in the winter months since it is dark outside when I start work in the morning and dark when I finish at night. The other way I was planning on spending my Christmas money was to buy some more spandex jeans in one size smaller. Somehow that's not as exciting as buying a saddle, but it will have to do.

10 comments:

Leah Fry said...

I can't tell you how thrilled I'd be right now if I could fit into what's in my closet, never mind a size smaller. I just want my old clothes back. Seriously, I'm down to maybe 4-5 outfits that I can wear and not feel like a sausage. Yes, the diet is on, but you know as well as I how long it can take to notice a difference.

Too bad about the saddle. i hate when people do that.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Too bad about the saddle, it would have been interesting to see how it fit and how it felt to ride in it.
Some things aren't meant to be and maybe something better will come along in the spring.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Leah - I feel your pain. Stop by my Healthy as a Horse blog in my profile. That's where we horse lovers commisserate over our weight problems. We try to offer each other support, but it's so easy to flake out on our diets and exercise, and then fall out of touch.

KD said...

How disappointing ! Buying a size smaller is great fun though !

Reddunappy said...

Hi NM, sorry about the saddle, but you will find one, the arab saddle realy does fit different. Big Horn made a realy nice arab saddle

Tracey said...

What a bummer! Could you not even ride in it to get a feel for whether or not it fit your horse, so that you'd know for future reference?

I don't blame you for not venturing out. I'm always careful of winter weather and my lungs, too.

Flying Lily said...

What gets into people - it's for sale, it's not for sale, oops I wasted your time! Into those skinnier jeans girl!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Tracey - The seller, my equitation instructor and I all live fairly far away from each other. The irritating part is that my equitation instructor drove the hour and a half drive to the seller's house to pick up the saddle for me, and that was when she decided to tell him it wasn't for sale. She didn't even have the courtesy to call him and save him the time and gas!

What really interested me about this saddle was that it was most likely custom. I love one-of-a-kind saddles. He said it was a light oil Arabian saddle, and there are next to none of those being pre-made unless you are looking at show saddles with lots of silver. I'm sure that this was not a show saddle for the low price they were asking. Most of the pre-made Arabian saddles on the market in recent years have all been either black codura or dark oil.

Andrea said...

One size smaller is wonderful. Really terrific.

I am so sorry about the saddle. I would be so bumbed too. I get so excited for horsey thing. I used to cry when my trainer would call me and tell me that he had to cancel our riding sessions. I would get so excited and worked up about riding my horse, and then just get let down. I took my horse away from that man, no more let downs.

I am so sorry, I know how you feel. It's always so great to get a new horsey thing to play with, and a saddle, well....that's just really fun to get. I hope you find another one, soon.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That's too bad, NM. Sometimes things happen for a reason. It will be interesting following along on your blog to find out why...
:)

~Lisa