Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fresh as a Baby's...

The last time I had a "real" ride on any of my horses was one and a half months ago when I rode Bombay over at my neighbor's large ranch. That day she commented that I didn't spend much time in the saddle. I just didn't have the energy to continue riding, because, little did I know at the time, I had caught a virus and was coming down with the world's longest cold. I did ride at home in the round pen a couple of times, but that's hardly a "real" ride.

So, today I took Bombay over to my neighbor's place for a "real" ride. I was worried that despite the nice weather with temps in the mid-50's, I wouldn't be able to ride because I developed a bad kink in my neck earlier this week. Fortunately, I felt well enough to ride. Bombay was fresh from just a few weeks of haphazard riding. He acted like it was the first time he'd seen a herd of llamas. I decided to lunge him over a little log in the paddock to keep his mind on clearing the obstacle.

My neighbor had a friend visiting who looked at Bombay with awe. I'm always amazed by the reaction that Bombay gets from men. I suspect that men who love Arabian horses love Bombay, because he's sturdy like a Quarter Horse and tall for an Arab. He's really only 15 hands, but looks much bigger because he carries himself with confidence. My neighbor keeps a really pretty chestnut filly with flaxen mane and tail in the pen by the gate, and Bombay always struts past her and tries to steal a few Eskimo kisses.

Our ride included one big spook, which got corrected to assure there wouldn't be more. My other neighbor's boarders were out for a ride, and anytime that they ride up or down the street, all the horses in the neighborhood get excited. My horses charge up to the fence and come to sliding stops while whinnying. I always have to apologize for their behavior. The boarders' horses are so well behaved that they keep their mind on their trail ride and ignore my silly nutcases. The riders have a good attitude and say, "It's okay. They just have to say hello."

I worked on jumping Bombay over the little log. At first I had to work on my steering, because he wanted to go around it. Then one time when I wanted him to go around it because my shirt was caught on the horn, he swerved to jump over it. You know you are posting over your horse's neck when your shirt gets caught on the horse on your way down. I'm so out of practice.

At the end of our ride my neck was fine, but my back hurt quite a bit. I fixed myself a glass of wine, something I don't do often because it irritates my kids. My county has a wonderful anti-drug, anti-alcohol program through the Sheriff's office in its schools, and my children learned well from it. I usually only drink on special occasions, but I felt that my back needed a little numbing. Plus this wine had been sitting in the fridge for months and I wanted to finish it off. Mmmm. Grapey.

9 comments:

Leah Fry said...

Oh Nuz, you deserve far better than several-month old wine! Maybe a hot soaking bath?

Grey Horse Matters said...

Bombay is a handsome horse, I love the greys. Glad you got a ride in, now it's time for a relaxing soak in the tub, with the wine!

dp said...

Wine lasts for several months at your house?

fernvalley01 said...

OH you renegade ,a whole glass of wine? Sounds like a good day . The shirt on the saddle horn made me laugh ,I had that happen once and realised I had come undone, great fun trying to button up while my horse was trying very hard to spin around and give the guys a show!

deserthorses5 said...

I had a little wine, too! Anybody who puts up with my husband would drink MASSIVE amounts of the stuff!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I'm glad you got to ride.
Sometimes it's hard for me to get inspired enough to ride because I always ride alone. It's great sometimes, but other times you just need someone to give a little push. Kind of like an exercise program. lol.

Saddle Mountain Rider said...

Aha! Using Bombay as a chiropractor for your neck?! I think that you were following proper procedure in having a glass of wine when you got home. Doctor's orders.

Callie said...

LOL, In spite of the shirt, it sounds like a successful ride! And a well deserved glass of wine. I'm afraid, if I had a glass of wine, it would put me to giggles for hours. I rarely drink too. I can't wait for spring to get here, so I can give it a go again. It's just too snowy and cold yet! Yikes!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good for you getting out on Bombay for a little riding. Funny about the shirt, but I'm glad nothing adventurous happened while you were re-adjusting it and he was jumping. :D

I haven't had a glass of wine since before my surgery because I'm still taking pain meds and don't want the two to mix. What's your favorite kinds of wine?
For me it would be Sangria for sipping at home and zinfadel with dessert or with friends.
I also like a good full flavored oak barrel Chardonnay.

But like you, I rarely drink because my kids give me a hard time and my hubby doesn't drink at all. lol!

I hope your back and neck are feeling better now.

~Lisa