Thursday, January 8, 2009

I've Heard of Brown-Nosing, but Green-Nosing?

The other day I walked outside and found this...

It looked like someone smeared clown paint on Gabbrielle's nose. The only thing that I've seen make a color like that on my horses is a paintball pellet, but I doubted anyone could have shot my horse in the muzzle with a paintball pellet from the street or any of the surrounding properties, because I had her in a pen that was in the center of my property. I looked around for something green and all I saw were the metal gates. I examined her gate to see if she had been chewing on it, but didn't find any chew marks. Then I saw her stick her head into the food trough.

There was still a little wet alfalfa in there along with some river rock I keep there to weigh down the troughs so that the wind doesn't blow them away. I watched her eat, but the wet alfalfa didn't seem to be what was leaving that green powder on her nose.

In fact, after a while of her nosing around in that trough, the water washed off the green powder. I decided there must have been a green rock that was leaving its mark on her nose. Do you have any better theories?

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Haven't a clue. Might have been a rock or the alfalfa before it got washed off. Who knows maybe she's taking painting lessons when you're not looking, have you found a french beret hidden in her stall?

Beckz said...

How odd. Cute though

Shirley said...

Such a pretty face! Is there anything copper around? That looks like the colour of oxidized copper.

fernvalley01 said...

Definitely an odd shade of green, I have no clue.
My answer for the "unexplainables in my life si "because Snakes do't have armpits"
No help at all I know.

Leah Fry said...

That's a weird green that looks more like paint than anything.

Jenn said...

I'm gonna have to guess paint, too. Like paint from nuzzling a gate or a hay rack or something. That's not a shade of alfalfa.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Update: Jenn solved the mystery. It was the gate. Originally, I didn't see any teeth marks or any place where the green paint was rubbing off. However, when I went out there with a tissue, I found a spot underneath the pipe where there were teeth marks, and the paint was rubbing off. So, she was probably chewing the green gate, which loosened the paint, and then rubbing her muzzle against it.

Andrea said...

I am with you on some kind of something in the feed trough. It sure is cute!!