Saturday, January 3, 2009

Tipping and Ripping

When I walked outside this morning it was snowing, so I cleaned stalls while the horses stood in them and ate their breakfast. I left the wheelbarrow filled with manure out of reach, or so I thought, from the prodding noses of mischievous horses...

Bombay is such a trouble-maker.

There was a really good sale on blankets at Schneider's, so I ordered a new 1200D waterproof midweight Dura-tech blanket for Lostine. She had destroyed all of my spare leg straps and had been wearing her old one for a while without them. Plus I had washed it so many times that the filling shifted and the old blanket wouldn't hang straight on her. This time I ordered a size that is 4 inches smaller than her old one, because I wanted one that would stay out of poop range. As long as she doesn't poop on her blanket, I won't have to wash it as often.

When you get a new horse blanket, you have to lay a sheet over the horse before tying on the blanket, because if it doesn't fit, they won't let you return the blanket if it is dirty or has horse hair on it.

I decided I liked the fit, so I removed the sheet and put it on her. I wanted to take pictures of her before she rolled with her nice, new blanket on. One of my neighbors was having one of those big plastic sheds delivered to his property and Lostine wanted in on the action.

Gabbrielle was so jealous that Lostine got a new blanket, that she wouldn't even look at me. She's usually a ham and poses for me when I have a camera.

Of course, while taking her picture I looked down and noticed that she managed to rip the seam on her relatively new blanket today. When it stopped snowing I brought the horses out to their pens, and Gabbrielle immediately rolled and then jumped up and ran around like a nut bucking and rearing. Here's the result of all that craziness...

I'm telling you, I just can't keep up with these trouble-makers.

6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

They can really trash things in a short time can't they? There is no keeping up with them.

Flying Lily said...

Whenever I put on a new blanket, I do like the ancient Roman Stoics and say, 'I bid thee farewell, creature of a day!'.

The ones I don't like will last forever, while the sweet looking perfect fitting 40,000 denier ones will be trashed within a month.

Rising Rainbow said...

Troublemakers for sure! And blankets are the number on target, I swear. I am always repairing someones!

I'll have to check out the Sneider's sale. I could use another turnout.

Andrea said...

Ugh..there is always something. I love the picture of Lostine with her head all up and nostrils flared! She is too cute. ANd I love Schneider's. I used to work down the rode from them!! They are a great store!! I bought my English Saddle from them at the Quarter Horse Congress a few years back.

Callie said...

Looks like a nive new blanket! She actually looks pleased with it!

Jenn said...

I've already had to repair Gabe's new sheet and all of my other blankets have several repair spots on them. They just aren't very nice to their clothes! Chief and Gabe like to play the grab each other's clothes over the fence game and inevitably rip something! Grrr...