Friday, January 2, 2009

Used Saddle Opportunity

I've been looking for a better fitting saddle for my mare since last summer. My equitation instructor tried to find one for me, but the one he found had too small of a seat for me and was way too expensive. So, my husband got me the Tucker High Plains Trail saddle for Christmas, which fits my mare well. Wouldn't you know it, my equitation instructor just called last night to tell me that he found a saddle with an Arabian tree for me. It was about $1,500 new, is about 5 years old, in excellent condition, and the owners are only asking $300 for it. They are willing to let me try it out for a month before buying and would accept payments.

Knowing how hard it is to find Arabian saddles around here, I'm tempted to investigate the opportunity even though I already have a saddle that fits my mare. This is a situation where the sellers are out of work and in need of money. They had to sell all of their horses and tack. Do you think I should arrange to try the saddle out? Also, my equitation instructor is doing the footwork in finding a buyer. In horse world etiquette, does that mean I should give him a tip or do you think the seller might be giving him a cut of the profits? The guy lives an hour away, so I feel like I should at least help him with his fuel costs or set up a lesson to make it worth his while to deliver the saddle to me.

I already feel kind of guilty for taking up so much of one lady's time trying on all her saddles a few months ago, and none of them worked out. I don't want to set the wheels in motion on this if I'm just going to take up my equitation instructor's time and not have it work out. I no longer need a saddle for Lostine, but I also know that sometimes it pays to keep your eyes open for opportunities even when you are not necessarily in the market for them.

On the other hand (the third one), Gabbrielle's back has grown so wide that not even Bombay's saddle fits her. When I put Bombay's Circle Y Mojave Arabian saddle on her, I can get 5 fingers in underneath the pommel and when I put Lostine's new Tucker High Plains wide-tree trail saddle on her, I can get 6 fingers in underneath the pommel. Maybe this used saddle with an extra wide Arabian tree will be stretched out enough to sit nicely on my filly's back. I'm not riding her yet, but she will be trained under saddle this year. What do you think?

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I would sure try it out. Sounds like a great opportunity to get a nice saddle.

ranchette said...

I am a sucker for a good deal on a used saddle (as my purchases this summer unfortunately show). I would be very tempted to take the saddle on trial - it's always nice to have a spare that fits those wide backs.

fernvalley01 said...

I would check it out sounds like you still need a saddle for your young one.As far as tips or commission ,I think the seller is usually responsible but if these guys have fallen on hard times...
It might be appropriate to book a lesson to make it worth you instructors trip.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I think I came to a happy solution between the boots that were too small and this saddle opportunity. I received the okay from Valley Vet to exchange the 4 Easyboot Epics for 2 Old Macs, plus a refund. That refund, plus some money I got for Christmas will allow me to purchase this used saddle if it fits both me and Gabbrielle. So, I arranged for my equitation instructor to come down next week to deliver the saddle and give me a refresher lesson.

Shirley said...

Hope the saddle fits well on at least one of your horss; it's always good to have an extra saddle around.

Farm Girl said...

I would at least try out the new saddle. It is a so hard to find a saddle that really fits, and if it fits your filly, I would buy it. I looked for months to find a saddle that would fit my mare, and finally I purchased a Corrector saddle pad, and it has made all the difference.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Let us know how it goes, NM. It might be better to have an extra, low-cost 'training' saddle for Gabrielle, instead of using your nice fancy new one for her saddle training.

Good luck
~Lisa
New Mexico

Breathe said...

A woman can not have too many saddles, IMHO.

Besides- what a great deal!

Jenn said...

As for compensating the trainer as being the "go between," you can be pretty sure he has already tacked his "fee" onto the total price. Unless he asks for a finder's fee, don't worry about compensating him if the saddle works out.