Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ponying with Lostine and Gabbrielle

I decided to give Lostine a chance to prove to me that she can put her mind to work and behave herself while ponying a younger horse. For the most part, she did really well. There were a couple of times when she chose to walk sideways into Gabbrielle just to push her around, and I could tell on one occasion she was considering kicking her.

At one point I stopped and Gabbrielle walked up to Lostine's head and began pestering her. Lostine put up with it, so I gave her a lot of praise.

Then while adjusting the length of the lead rope, I dropped a rein and had to dismount in a hurry before Lostine decided to walk forward and step on it. These were brand new reins, which I'll write about in an upcoming post. Please -- no comments about the size of my butt. Objects in camera lens appear larger than they really are. Hopefully.

I then began leading Gabbrielle with me walking backwards in front of her, and much to my surprise, Lostine followed along even though I didn't have a hold of her reins.

12 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

What butt?
the training seems to be going well, that Lostine is a pretty girl

Vaquerogirl said...

You have a lovely butt- and mean that in the best way possible:) Your ponies are very cute, even when they are disagreeing. When I try to pony from Desi he just gets pissed! He'll have to get over it, but it's not a lot of fun.
Good job!

dp said...

Love that picture of Lostine putting up with Gabrielle. What a good girl?

I saw no butt...

Katharine Swan said...

In the second picture, Lostine looks like she's thinking, "If I didn't have Mom on my back right now..."

But good for her for not giving into temptation!

deserthorses5 said...

Hey, your butt looks pretty good. Mine doesn't (blech!) After ALL the walking I do? I've always had a flat butt!

Callie said...

LOL, On the butt, Don't worry, it's not bad! My husband is famous for the worst angle shots! Good job with the ponying! Lostine is a gorgeous girl and patient with the youngin'!

Andrea said...

You crack me up!! I wish I had a butt, there is nothing back there. All my chub is up around my belly and I hate it!! I'll trade ya!!

And what a good girl Lostine was!! I think it's great that you are ponying Gabbriel. It's really good for her.

ranchette said...

Good ponies! Looks like they are coming along nicely.

Rising Rainbow said...

What an angel putting up with the other mare in her face! Extra treats for that girl.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I was giggling seeing the pic of Gabbrielle pestering Lostine. What a little pest! hehe
Three cheers for Lostine. She was definetly annoyed, but kept her wits and manners about her. She's one smart cookie! And look how she stodd still while you were up there posing for your sexy butt shots. It's like she's modeling, too :)
And she even followed along at the end, too. See, she was still focusing on you and knew she was still 'in school'. Good for her!

I have no idea how Baby Doll would do ponying another horse. She doesn't mind other mares near her, but overly-friendly geldings annoy her. I don't know if she'd have as much patience as Lostine did with Gabbrielle! hehe

~Lisa

Lulu said...

You know, none of us even noticed your behind until you pointed it out....I was looking at the dropped rein and Gabbrielle's rope that appeared to be on the ground!!

ezra_pandora said...

That's great that Lostine put up with that. (hi there, new reader :) )I think I would be able to pony my older mare if my crazy girl wasn't so....crazy. lol They both get after each other and we are very careful not to stop them too close to each other, or we get lots of those pestery looks and moves :)

And I didn't see butt, just shadow ;)