Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday Stills: Both Belated and Early

I thought it would be fun to get involved with the Sunday Stills challenges, as I'm always striving to improve my photography. Unfortunately, we've been walloped with emergency after emergency at the office, and I have had to give up my holidays and weekends to work, which leaves me little time to go out and take new pictures that are in line with the assignments. So, I'm posting photos I've taken in the past.

Last week's assignment was ARCHITECTURE. I dug up these old photos from 1996. They tell a story about the future (now past) of Northwestern Nevada. There were old abandoned farmhouses scattered throughout the area in the 1990's, and the land was being sold to developers to build subdivisions. This farmhouse is long gone and there is a mobile home park in its place. I can show you a countless number of locations in my immediate vicinity where farmland was paved over to make room for wall-to-wall houses and apartment buildings.

Of course, now after the housing slump, we have many subdivisions that are empty or only half-way constructed with a few homeless people walking past my house each day. It seems so silly to have people living in cardboard boxes in freezing temperatures with all these empty mansions available. I'm waiting for some contractor (or banker) to have a heart and put two and two together. Though I know that most contractors are hurting just as much as everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those homeless folks once built houses for a living.



This week's Sunday Stills challenge is ACTION. For the past couple of basketball seasons I have been struggling to get some clear indoor action shots. The lighting of a school gym is not the best place for still photos of young men running up and down a basketball court. However, I did manage to get a few shots recently that are clear enough to share. I admit that I just use the action icon setting on my camera, because I can never remember how to use the manual settings when the time comes to take a picture. That's my son in the gold jersey - number seven.





And what would this blog be without a few action shots of horses? This one I find particularly interesting, because it was an accident. I had my camera posed to take a picture of Bombay running past me, but he cut too close and I had to lower my camera while taking a step back. I accidentally hit the shutter release just as I was lowering the camera.


8 comments:

Abe Lincoln said...

I stopped and read your blog and looked at the photograph. I just wanted you to know.

Jenn said...

I really like the one of Bombay's legs. Very cool! I don't take very good action shots at all. I tend to miss the action entirely.

Promise said...

Thanks for sharing that Sunday Stills site. I might give it a shot, also.

The Mane Point said...

Cool old farm photos.

Congratulations! I have chosen to honor your blog with the

HONEST SCRAP AWARD

Click the link to receive it - and find out what you can do with it.

Blessings,
Linda

Katharine Swan said...

I love the first picture of the farmhouse. So sad, the beautiful things developers tear down!

And the last picture, of Gabbrielle, is fantastic. I love the lighting and shadow.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great photos. I can just imagine what it must have been like to live in one of those ol farmhouses. They had awesome views, too. Sad that those old houses are gone now :(

Gabbrielle looks gorgeous in that last shot!

Oh....and go Colt!!! Is he still playing basketball? Is he interested in other sports, too?
And how's his photography interests coming long?

I'll have to check out the Sunday Stills one day. I love a photography challenge, too. It makes you stop and notice the world around you. :)

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Colt starts his playoffs for basketball this weekend. At the same time he's starting the track and field season at the high school. He used to play baseball and was quite a good pitcher and outfielder.

Cheryl Ann said...

I LOVE the old farmhouses! I want one! They have so much character, not like the "cookie cutter" houses we have out here!