Friday, March 13, 2009

Another "Sick" Day

I finished fertilizing the pasture... sort of. Believe it or not, I ran out of manure. So, I just moved on to reseeding and watering it. My neighbor and one of his construction workers was out there until mid-afternoon destroying the sounds of nature again. As soon as they closed shop and drove off, I ran outside and saddled up my buddy Bombay.

Bombay did really well. We worked on two-tracking, side-passing, and backing up. He's such a smart boy. We both instantly got bored going in circles in the round pen. I saw my favorite neighbor was out and about, so I asked if I could ride in her back paddock. She said I could and we got a chance to get caught up on things.

I know you shouldn't expect bad behavior from your horse, but considering that it has been several months since I rode Bombay off my property, I figured we'd have to start over despooking him to everything. Amazingly, he did quite well. There was an empty bag of shavings in one corner of the arena and he cut a wide wake around it, despite having no problem picking up those bags with his teeth and shaking them around when I leave them on the ground.

We rode at each pace in both directions. His lope was heavenly after Lostine's neck-breaking bucks yesterday. Several times little gusts of wind came up and slammed loose gates behind him, and he didn't even flinch or turn his head to see what it was. He was doing so well up until he spotted a white van coming out from behind a house. Then he came to an abrupt stop and started snorting and backing up with fright. At this point I'm wondering about the quality of his eyesight. I mean, HOW MANY vehicles has he seen in his life?

I couldn't push him forward, so I spun him in a few circles and then pushed him forward. He relaxed for a short time, and then tensed up again. I didn't see anything to be nervous about, but I noticed that my neighbor's horses were acting up too. Something had to be going on.

Sure enough, this little whirlwind came twirling through the farm. It picked up a chair and threw it in front of Bombay, which amazingly, did not cause him to spook. It then picked up a tornado of dust and spun around us. Bombay's back was hunched up, but he held still. As soon as it passed, I rode him to the end of the paddock and dismounted. It wasn't the greatest time to end the ride, but I had to get home to feed the dogs, and we had such a good ride that I didn't want to give this weird weather a chance to ruin it for us.

Here's to many more interesting rides.

11 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Glad you had a better day! Bombay sounds like a good fellow

Shirley said...

Oh I love that picture of Bombay! What a sweet face!

kritter keeper said...

nice to know someone else despises noisy neighbor disruptions...glad your ride was safe but be glad you do not have to put up with daily gun shots! cute blog!

Victoria Cummings said...

What a trusting look on Bombay's face in that photo - Sounds like you're getting there, even when the chairs come flying at you. Please stop by and pick up an award over at my blog.

Kate said...

I've just discovered you - nice pictures and interesting posts! I look forward to following your adventures!

ranchette said...

Love that picture of Bombay at the top. Glad you two had a nice ride - despite the windy surprise.

Andrea said...

What a sweet heart. I love that last picture of him. He has such a sweet face. I am so glad you got a nice ride. Hooray for sick days!!

Katharine Swan said...

It's like some unspoken rule of horses:

Always spook at what the human DOES NOT expect you to be afraid of. Even -- no, make that ESPECIALLY -- if you have seen it a zillion times before.

Breathe said...

Isn't it funny what they find odd? The triggers are just wild.

Now have you considered a name change? I mean with a name like BOMBAY, it does seem... risky. LOL

Glad you had a safe ride!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Breathe - LOL. Unfortunately, all of my horses came with their registered names. I do call Bombay "Bomber" sometimes. His sire's name was Khutty Sark and was a bay horse. The breeders wanted to name him after a gin since he turned out to be gray. It's an alcoholic thing, not anything related to bombs or India. I suppose I could call him Smirnoff...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay Bombay!

Good for the two of you. Silly horses with what they spook at. lol!

~Lisa