Friday, March 6, 2009

Be Careful What You Wish For

In my last post I mentioned that I thought it would be cool if you could take your horse for walks "off leash" and have it stay with you. So, today, after cleaning stalls, I was pushing the wheelbarrow through the gate when I became aware that a horse was breathing down my neck. I turned my head to see Gabbrielle following me right out the gate. I tried to lean across her path to block her, but she pushed past me, giving my spine a good jolt.

My knee-jerk reaction was to yell out in pain, "YOU IDIOT!"

Now, normally I don't call my horses names like that, but that hurt. I turned my head to see my nosy neighbor at the end of my driveway staring at me with a horrified expression. I hope she thought I was calling her an idiot.

I had to quickly herd Gabbrielle back through the gate before the other two horses busted out, so I headed around her to get in front of her, and she suddenly spotted my neighbor in front of the house. Gabbrielle spooked sideways and clipped me a second time, giving me whiplash. By this point, I was about ready to yell at my neighbor for once again being the cause of me being injured by a horse, but I had to concentrate on the task at hand.

I did manage to herd Gabbrielle through the gate just as Lostine was heading out. Fortunately, Gabbrielle blocked her and I was able to close the gate before matters snowballed out of control. I guess the moral of the story is to be careful of what you wish for. There are some cases where you don't want your horse to follow you everywhere you go.

7 comments:

Tracey said...

Giggles...

Jet used to do that to me. Way too social at times. At least she's a friendly sort and it seems Gabbrielle is as well. Too bad the neighbor is a problem :/

Andrea said...

Oh that little girl, always getting into trouble. I guess she figured that you were going out the gate, why not her? LOL!!

And I too hope that your neighbor thought you were calling her an idiot!! LOL!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hah! Ain't that the truth!

Hope you're feeling ok, though, and not too sore. Ouch!

~Lisa

Mrs Mom said...

Heres hoping INDEED that your whackadoodle neighbor thought you were yelling at her! KNowing how insane neighbors have been driving me lately, I honestly do now know HOW you have been able to hold up to that insanity for so long now.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh no, Are you okay??

Gabbrielle is lovely. I'm a sucker for dapples!

Victoria Cummings said...

It's that time of year when they all want to bust loose! I think my girls do nothing but dream of grass these days. They know it's coming and it's driving them crazy.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I am okay... just feeling a bit crooked.