Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Must Be a Full Moon

I can't tell you how many times I've made the comment, "It must be a full moon", based on the nuttiness going on around me, and have been right. It all started shortly before 5:00 PM, when I was supposed to be released from the iron-clad grip of my employer. One of my supervisors asked me to do a series of tasks "really quick." I always give people a hard time for expecting anything to get done "really quick," because in my job if anything can go wrong, it does. Of course, the "really quick" series of tasks turned into a major fiasco and we were running out of time to get them done.

In the meantime, my boss's boss approached me and said he needed to meet with me in his office. I felt my heartbeat getting out of control from the stress and I told him I didn't have a minute to spare. Fortunately, he was able to meet with someone else and get his needs met.

The entire time I kept trying to get these "really quick" tasks done, people kept walking in and out of the office, and for some reason every one of them had to stop at my desk to talk to me. Mind you, I was throwing papers and equipment all over the place, frantically searching for things, obviously engrossed in what I was trying to do. So why people thought it was a good time to interrupt me to shoot the breeze, I don't know. I finally started snapping at people, telling them I'm under a lot of stress to get some work done before yesterday, and can't talk right now. I got out of the office late without being able to complete those tasks for my boss successfully.

I barely made it one block from the office and almost got into a head-on collision with some idiot who was driving in the oncoming lane while talking on a cell phone. He realized his mistake and swerved back into his lane. There were cars parked backwards on the wrong side of the street and that must have confused him. All the way home I saw accidents and people doing stupid things that nearly caused other accidents.

People were arriving at 4-way stops without paying attention to who was there first, thus all going at the same time and causing gridlock in the intersections. A number of people pulled out onto the highway where the speed limit is 65 MPH when there wasn't any room for them to do so, and other drivers were swerving to avoid hitting them. I came around a blind curve in a 45 MPH zone and nearly rear-ended a bicyclist who was going 5 MPH uphill in the center of the lane, where there was room for him to be on the shoulder! I couldn't believe the general stupidity going on all around me.

I had to stay alert to avoid disaster, and then those words came out of my mouth: "Must be a full moon." Was I right or was I right?

I got home to find that my husband didn't have time to clean more than one stall during the day. I was both physically and mentally exhausted after an hour of avoiding car accidents, so I just put the horses into their dirty stalls and told them to live with it. I had to rush to get the blankets on them, because dinner was almost on the table. I threw Gabbrielle's blanket over her back, and the buckle hit the aluminum roof, making an exaggerated crash that shook the entire stall and vibrated for a while. Gabbrielle practically jumped out her stall window in fright. I grabbed her around the neck to hold her still while her hind hooves were still scrambling to try to propel her through that little opening, and when she relaxed and backed out of the window, I finished putting the blanket on her.

All I can say is that I can't wait to be unconscious. Considering that I didn't get a single break at the office all day, I deserve some sleep. I just hope that full moon doesn't keep me awake.

13 comments:

photogchic said...

People do act crazy when there is a full moon...I work in news and if I look up and it is full, I know we are in for a busy night. It never fails.

dp said...

Haha...I work from home two days a week, at the office three days a week. Days at home are far more productive because no one walks in to shoot the shit. I'm glad that I'm not at home all the time, but I'm also glad that I'm not in the office all the time.

Good luck getting to sleep! It is crazy bright here.

Laura said...

Wow - you have the most wild work days that I have heard of in a long time. I'm worried about you and all of that stress girl!

Not to mention that commute!!! Yikes. You must prefer working at home so you have one less thing to worry about.

My Mom is a nurse - she always said that weird things happened on the night shift at the hospital during a full moon - patients couldn't sleep and would wander the halls, etc.

Cheryl Ann said...

You should see third graders during a full moon! Not a pretty sight! They get very squirrely and run EVERYWHERE! They can't sit in their chairs! I finally gave up trying to teach them yesterday and for the last half hour I let them make their March desk nametags! And, I let them get out the games. It was futile trying to teach them anything further!

Lulu said...

Sure sounds like it was a rough day...to which I can totally identify.

The only difference is that when I have days like that, they typically end with my husband doing the chores and me working all night. Bleh!

fernvalley01 said...

Wow! I hope you had a restfull sleep. The full moon has been playing hvoc at my end as well ,but more with the animals.As I was walking in from retrieving the first escapee,I looked up and saw the moon and said oh yeah that explains it!If you catch a break check out my past 3 days on my blog
http://fernvalley01.blogspot.com/

backattheranch said...

I love this grey horse! Like your blog. I'll be back to check it out

OnceUponAnEquine said...

"I'm under a lot of stress to get some work done before yesterday" Great comment, work sure gets that way sometimes.

Your moon pictures are stunning!

Callie said...

Yikes! You can always tell when there is a full moon in the health business like I am, that's a for sure!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

A typical day at the office!!! I don't miss that! Haha! Lucky you, dinner was made for you. I always had/have to make dinner so my evenings are pretty much taken. I don't really mind, because I love to cook, but sometimes, I wish I didn't have to.

Pony Girl said...

What a crazy day! I know how you feel, my whole week has been that way! I believe in the full-moon theory. At least I know the kiddos at school are more hyper the day of a full-moon, and I often don't sleep as well! Hang in there!

Andrea said...

I am a firm believer in full moons!! People do act weird and lots of woman have babies when it's a full moon!! I am glad you missed the "boss" talk. Sigh...and I hope you had a good night rest after that crazy day!!

Chris said...

Those moon pics are amazing - especially the second! I guess all the weird and wonderful behaviours at times can be worth it for views like that.