Monday, March 9, 2009

Pledge Fabric Sweeper for Pet Hair

I couldn't resist purchasing Pledge Fabric Sweeper since my Corgi has taken over my recliner and couches. In the past I tried to get dog and horse hair off clothes and furniture with special brushes, but you have to brush them in the correct direction and be constantly cleaning the hair off the brush.

I then resorted to packaging tape, but pulling and cutting off those strips of tape in order to pick up all the hair was time consuming. Considering that I always noticed that I was covered in pet hair right when I was walking out the door on my way to the office, there was no time for packaging tape and pet hair brushes unless I brought them along in the car with me and worked on the project at stoplights.

Much to my surprise, Pledge Fabric Sweeper is faster and more efficient than those other methods. It is essentially a couple of rollers with bristles that grab the hairs and pull them up inside of a plastic handle. The hairs are automatically drawn right off the rollers onto the plastic. The plastic handle is deep and wide enough to store a lot of hair, but it is a bit flimsy, so you can't manhandle it. You have to hold it gently while sweeping the rollers across the fabric.

I was able to get the pet hair off all of our couches and recliners in just a couple of minutes. If you see one in your local supermarket and have a pet hair problem, I'd recommend you give it a try.

10 comments:

Mrs Mom said...

NM, your review came in at SUCH fantastic time! A lot of us are swamped up to our eyeballs in our own horse's hair, but we have the extra joy of being covered in Other Peoples Horses Hair as well! In order to keep our work van from getting ankle deep, one (or three) of these babies just might come in handy!!!

OnceUponAnEquine said...

Thanks NuzMuz! I've not seen this product before. I'll look for it next time I go shopping.

Andrea said...

Oh, I have never heard of that before!! It sounds great! I have dog hair everywhere. I will vacuum at night and then in the morning, it will look like my entire dog shed on the floor. I will have to try that!!

Sydney said...

Treat the problem, not the symptoms. Try this. I've used a billion different brushes and this one is the ONLY one that works like it says and better. http://furminator.com/
However it does not work on horses like they say. Horses do not have an undercoat like dogs do.

ranchette said...

good tip! I'll have to check this out. Hair hair everywhere some days here.

Cheryl Ann said...

I would probably need to buy a case of those! With 3 dogs and 4 cats who visit us inside our house, it is a constant battle! Thanks for the tip and I'll look for those!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

By the way, I forgot to mention that I do brush my dogs with every dog brush and shedding tool under the sun, but my Shelty in particular is a bottomless pit of fur. I can brush fur out of him until I have a pile of fur bigger than him and it just keeps coming.

My family has to brush in shifts since no one's arm can withstand the rigors and pain of brushing for hours, and I can't pay my kids enough money to get them to help. Brushing the Shelty is the most dreaded job in our house.

I tried taking the Shelty in to a professional groomer, but she was so disgusted over her lack of progress with my furball that she mumbled something about charging me double next time. I literally saw (and smelled) no difference in the dog from when I brought him in in the morning and picked him up in the evening, so I didn't take him back there.

The point is that there are some dog breeds that will leave hair on your carpet and furniture year round, and unless you don't have a job and have nothing better to do than to brush the dog 8-hours a day, there's not a whole lot you can do about it except clean house.

msmartyr said...

Glad to hear that this works. I've seen the commercial for it with the black cats on a white couch. I will look for one on my next shopping trip because my two German Shepherds shed no matter how much I brush them. I have a furminator but honestly it doesn't work any better than a cheap rake looking groomer I have for them.

How2Clean said...

I have heard good things about this product. The only thing I don't like about it is it's not reusable. I found another product called Fur-Zoff. It's made of recycled materials and it lasts forever. And, it's only $10. I think I'll stick with the Fur-Zoff for now. Take a look at http://www.furzoff.net - it's a great product!

Here is a blog review of the Fur-Zoff I found: http://internet-pets.blogspot.com/2009/02/product-review-fur-zoff.html

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I just wanted to add that if you have a coat that is made of a material that has more static in it than the Pledge Fabric Sweeper, then the product does not pick the hair up off the coat. In fact, you'll just end up wiping whatever hair is on the rollers onto your coat. So, I'm still having to use strips of tape to get the hair off one of my coats. It does work well on upholstery, though.