Friday, March 27, 2009

Pretty in Pink, Sort of...

Hey! Who told my mom to put this rope halter on me? I'm going to kick you!

Not really. I'm actually a sweetheart.

I look like a girl in hot pink! I'm gonna bite whoever advised that mom use this rope halter!

Nah. I'm really a nice guy.

Then there's me who couldn't care less, because I know how to walk on a loose lead. Hee hee.

Today's walk was interesting. We added my neighbor and her dog into the mix. Gabbrielle and I were walking along the road and I noticed Bombay and Lostine looking at something behind us. My neighbor had come out with her dog on a leash and was standing behind my barn watching us. As soon as I looked at her, she quickly looked away and pretended like she was fascinated with whatever her dog was sniffing in the bushes. I continued walking Gabbrielle away from them.

When it was time to turn around, my neighbor was still standing in the same spot with her dog. I figured she either came out to see what I was doing or needed to go to the mailbox and didn't want to risk trouble by passing us up. I decided to go tell her that I am training my horses to "not pull on their leashes", something a dog owner would understand, and that it would be good practice for her to walk her dog past my horse.

All four of us were standing there without any problems. I was hoping my neighbor would respond to my conversation, so that my horse and her dog would feel comfortable and know everything was okay, but my neighbor got this funny look on her face and I suddenly remembered that her dog is notorious for chasing horses. Right then, her dog, who had been sitting quietly one moment before, suddenly lunged at Gabbrielle and barked ferociously.

Gabbrielle's tail went straight up over her back and she started dancing. My neighbor said, "I'll try to get past you real fast here," and she dragged her dog down the road. I turned Gabbrielle and had her walk a ways behind the dog, so she would be moving toward it instead of it coming at her.

I started leading her back toward the paddock and she protested. She wanted to go graze on the lawn instead, and began pulling. It was then that she felt the full force of the rope halter and her response to that was to rear up. There was no way I was going to let her be rewarded with grazing after that stunt, so I wrangled her back through the gate for some grooming and a photo shoot. Anyway, that was today's excitement. Woohoo.

12 comments:

lytha said...

Gee, you had time to mention your plan, and THEN the dog went nuts? Agh.

The pink looks good on the greys. I'm surprised it shocked Gabi so much!

C-ingspots said...

Cute pics! Love the pouty expression.

fernvalley01 said...

Good work , at least the neighbor tried to be helpful?

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Jeez, I remember when my horse's halter WAS rope, way back when...
Now they go back to it for training.

Sounds like Gabbrielle got a lesson. Glad all went well, otherwise.

PS- the pink looks gorgeous on the grays, but, poor Bombay!!

kritter keeper said...

glad i don't have neighbors with mean dogs. but i do have a lot of strays with unknown personalities that run the deer. good luck with that dog!

Shirley said...

There really is no good way of dealing with neighbours who just don't get it; nice try though. I feel sorry for the dog who thinks he has to ferociously bark at horses. Because he waited to bark,I assume that he waited to pick up on his owners energy in the situation.

Lulu said...

I love the color of the rope halter and lead!!!

Leah Fry said...

My Jaz looks wonderful in pink also.

Have you ever considered your neighbors might be visiting from another galaxy?? They certainly sound like the oddest people I've ever heard of.

Victoria Cummings said...

Don't you hate it when something that starts out so nice and easy turns into a lesson in confidence? I could really relate to your story. Most people don't realize that some days, just leading a horse can turn into a big adventure. Glad you made it back to the barn safely.

Mrs Mom said...

hehehe... sounds like a prime chance to teach that lovely filly to Get Da Dog!!! ;)

Yeah- I know.. pure evil on my part. But hey- if she ONLY does it on COMMAND.... well..... hehehe

As to your comment today on my post... Yep, I think that poor Wrecker is now going to have an overly healthy respect for Dat Fricken Wooster from here on out. The barn owner did vow to have it locked up in the chicken pen for our next visit though. Which is good, because I *really* don't want to see it become meal!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! What an ending to your walk with Gabbrielle! I'm glad noone got hurt, though.

Your photos made me laugh. I love a pink halter on your horses. Jocelyn sent me one for Baby Doll, but I've not been able to use it yet. But Black, White and Pink looks so cute together, so I know the halter will look great on her. :)

~Lisa

manker said...

LOL I have almost the same "pretty in pink" halter that I use on G and Alle

they look stylin' too :)

gp