Monday, March 30, 2009

Ranch Horse in the Making

Bombay has an active mind, so I have to give him a job to do every once in while... something besides going in circles at different paces, taking walks along the road, and desensitization exercises. When I was riding him on Saturday in the round pen, I noticed that the horses had managed to bust the fence, probably while itching themselves on it. I was exhausted from riding my bicycle and mucking manure, so I didn't want to have to dismount and walk over to the fence to fix it.

Instead, I rode Bombay over the to gate of the round pen and maneuvered him this way and that to help me open the gate. As soon as we walked out, the girls trotted in, so Bombay helped me shut the gate from the saddle and lock them in the round pen where they would stay out of our hair. I then rode Bombay over to the first fence post that needed fixing, stopped him, and worked on pounding the cap back into place with my hand. Once that was done, I urged him forward a few steps to the next fence post, and he waited while I pounded down that cap. We continued in this fashion until the top rail was secured.

I was surprised, yet not surprised, that Bombay knew just what to do. I had never asked him to help me repair a fence before, but he understood just what he needed to do to get the job done. Of course, he received lots of pets and pats and praise for his bright mind. What a guy!

9 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Sounds like he was a good boy .Good to keep his mind busy

Pony Girl said...

A solid horse with a good mind can respond well to any task! This can be attributed to the great work you've done with him. Would it be pushing it to try him on some cattle, LOL? He's so handsome, too! ;)

Katharine Swan said...

Lots of challenges like that and Bombay won't be bored anymore. :o)

Yay Bombay!

lytha said...

oooh, Bombay, earning his hay and cushy lifestyle!

Last year I rode a talented dressage TB. Talented but crazy - dangerous crazy - and try as I might, I could never get a gate open or closed from her back. She just wouldn't let me do it. I also couldn't get her to stop running away, charging home. I foresaw hospital visits and quit her. Last night my man ran into her owner at a church meeting, and yup, she's still crazy. Whew, I escaped in time to ride another day!

~lytha, 7 hours til Baasha arrives home!

Laura said...

What a good boy he is! It's nice to have successes like that - lots of small ones add up...

jmk said...

I think horses like to be useful. You had a spefic purpose in mind when you decided to fix the fence. I'm sure Bombay felt your intent. Sometimes I think horses get bored of the usual stuff. Everyone like to be needed.
Good for you and your horse.
Jill

Callie said...

Oh Geezus! That's great progress! You go girl! Kudos, Bombay, for being a good boy helper!

Andrea said...

Oh I love that horse more and more every day!! He sounds like so much fun. I like doing different things every now and then. Last summer my husband was riding the pole pattern at a rodeo with his crazy barrel horse. They asked him to help take out the poles. He just rode that crazy mare up to the pole picked it up and they rode away with it. I was impressed!! Horses surprise me all the time!! Hooray for Bombay, what a good boy!!

ranchette said...

What a good boy, Bombay! Sounds like he has a new job.