Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ponying from a Bicycle

I had plans to take my horses for a walk and have my son ride beside us on a bicycle, but there was too much activity in the neighborhood, and I nearly lost Gabbrielle just as we were walking out the gate. Something spooked her and she bolted. It was all I could do to hang on to keep her from running down the highway. So, I brought her back into the paddock and took pictures while my son ponied each horse from the bike. Gabbrielle was the first to go, and she was a bit pensive at first, but eventually relaxed.

Lostine reassured her.

Next was Bombay's turn. He impressed me by keeping in step with the speed of the bicycle.

Then Gabbrielle decided to follow along.

She came galloping around the side of the barn, which set Bombay off.

My son was able to stop them and regroup.

Since Gabbrielle was being so obnoxious, I put the horses that were not being ponied in a separate pen. Next Lostine took a spin...

...until the inevitable happened.

My son's shoelace got caught in the bicycle chain and ripped the chain right off its gear. Lostine stopped and waited for him while he checked his owwies.

Like a true cowboy, he got up, brushed himself off, and got back on that bike.

Don't worry. I'm not that much of an evil mother. I checked to make sure he was okay before snapping off all those pictures. Good thing I put the other horses in a separate pen. At least I decreased his chances of being trampled when he fell. I should have made him wear a helmet, though. (Spank. Spank. Do you hear me spanking myself?)

6 comments:

Train Wreck said...

Oh I knew it was going to happen! Great little pony boy! I am glad he wasn't hurt. What good horses you have to follow a bike. Although I hand raised a colt once, and I had to use a 4 wheeler. (I was 7 months pregnant) he he

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Lol, what a son! He may not ride horses, but he's still a cowboy at heart, isn't he?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

And he's confidant in his maleness, too. Look at how he holds that pink lead rope without even blushing! hehe

That was so cool seeing your horses ponying beside the bike. Lostine and he looked amazing. And what a good girl standing ground tied, just waiting.

Glad that Colt wasn't hurt. Well, if not making your son wear a helmet makes you an evil Mom, just wait until you see my next Llama Rodeo post. I know Fugly's focus is on horses, but I bet she'd have a thing or two to say. lol!

~Lisa

Pete said...

Times have changed. Cowboys on a BMX.

Katharine Swan said...

I loved the pictures of Lostine, especially her standing there with her lead dangling, waiting for your son. She is an angel when there's no one on her back, isn't she?

dp said...

Sounds like he needs his mother to tell him to tie up his shoe-laces! I like Lostine's "it wasn't my fault!" expression.