Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another Change in Vacation Plans

Next week was the week that I had penciled in as the only possible week in June that I could take off from work. You may recall that I had set aside a week in mid-May to train Gabbrielle under saddle, but I had to cancel it due to my neighbor having a very loud and distracting house painting project going on. Memorial Day was the first holiday of the year in which I didn't have to work, so I mounted Gabbrielle for the first time then. However, I still need more time to continue her training, and next week was not shaping up to be ideal.

Thunderstorms were predicted to occur every afternoon for both this week and next week. I want to spend my vacation outdoors training my horse. I don't want to spend it hiding in the house from lightning, hail, and rain. I knew I had to come up with some solution to this problem. By canceling this vacation, I would have to wait until July to schedule another vacation. That's halfway through 2009. It's hard to work weekdays, evenings, some weekends, and most holidays for six months straight without a break, and quite frankly, I'm tired of waiting.

I decided to ask my boss for every Thursday off for the months of June and July. That way if bad weather or noisy neighbors ruin one Thursday, I'll always have the next Thursday to look forward to. I learned by the one Tuesday I took off in the middle of May and by getting Memorial Day off that all it takes is one day for me to feel rejuvenated. I can return to work without feeling like a stranger and having to get caught up, like I would after being MIA for a week.

My boss agreed with the clause that we will have to take it on a week-by-week basis since he may need me to work some Thursdays. I'm sure the company can live without me for one day a week, and I purposefully chose Thursdays for specific reasons. First of all, there are no meetings I am required to attend on Thursdays. Secondly, project deadlines always fall on Wednesdays, so I can have everything completed by Thursday. Thirdly, Thursday is the only day of the week that my equitation instructor is in my area.

I know that last year many of you urged me to get a new equitation instructor. The thing is that I don't have a whole lot of options in my area, and this is the only instructor who will come to me and save me the hassle of having to trailer out. I did learn a lot from him last year, despite some bumps in the road. If I trailer the horses too far, I have to get brand inspections for them, and some facilities require extra vaccinations and horseshoes. I have way more freedom working with this instructor. I don't plan on giving up my entire day off getting the horses in and out of the trailer and driving long distances. I want to leave some time in there to go fishing and do other activities with the kids while they are home for the summer.

On the other hand, if I do have time to trailer the horses out, this instructor will meet me wherever I want to go and work with us there. He's not restricted to a specific location. It really is a good deal for me since my main goal is to expose my horses to as many different environments as possible. My family members have their own schedules and can't always help me when I trailer the horses out.

I'll bet I could even talk him in to going on a trail ride with me. I don't know if he's interested in riding anymore, but being a health nut, I'm sure he wouldn't mind hiking beside me while I ride. He's a good conversationalist and I do enjoy his company. The other thing I like about this man is that he gives me his undivided attention during the hour that I'm paying for his services. I had one instructor in the past who spent half of my time slot talking on the phone, working with her employees, and training other horses while teaching me to ride. She was constantly multi-tasking and I never felt like I got my money's worth.

So, every Thursday is the current plan. I don't think that even I can be unlucky enough to have it rain every Thursday.

15 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Here"s hoping !!

Breathe said...

I hope this isn't the guy that makes you hit your horse when it spooks. Because if he is, you may need to whack him for me.

:)

Here's to a Summer of Happy, thunderstorm free Thursdays!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I wish you the best of a month of Thursdays!

I'll bet you can't wait to get back on Gabbrielle!

Paint Girl said...

I hope it works out that you can have every Thursday off! Like you said, it can't possibly rain every Thursday, right?
I like having a trainer that comes to me, too. My trainer also comes to my house. It is great! I think it makes things so much easier!

Katharine Swan said...

I don't know if your weather there is like it is here, but here in the spring and early summer, it usually is gorgeous in the morning and rains in the afternoons. So maybe you'll be able to get some stuff done Thursday mornings, regardless of what it does later in the day.

I haven't been reading long enough to know what the deal was with your trainer, but as long as he's not too rough with the horses or something like that, it sounds like a good arrangement.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Thursday is a good choice. May all your Thursdays be sunny and free of noisy neighbors and needy bosses. Congrats on your Memorial Day ride on Gabrielle. How did she do?

lytha said...

Oh you look so good on her, and look at your pretty shirt, I love it.

Man I miss my good riding instructor from Seattle. She was so positive all the time, her encouragement is what turned us into better riders. If we did something completely wrong, even over and over, she wouldn't get frustrated, she'd just say "OK let's try again!" I doubt I'll find one like that again. I wish you much progress!

~lytha, thinking about trying to fix her riding fashion sense

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Sounds like a great plan!! Hope it works out for you!!

Kate said...

That once-a-week vacation day may work out well for you - as you say, it can be very refreshing to have one day off. Sometimes I found that a whole week off didn't really work out as well, and also required a lot of preparation and recovery at work that sort of ruined the effect.

Flying Lily said...

Sounds like an excellent plan! Just don't tell your nosy neighbors or they will clear their schedules to stare at you all day every Thursday. :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lytha - My riding fashion is just whatever I pull off the racks at Ross and Marshall's that is $15 or less. I try to avoid 100% cotton now, because even if I wash in cold and dry low, the garments always shrink to fit one of my childhood dolls. Hand washing is not in the schedule for me, nor is line drying or laying flat to dry. We only have so much table space and hanging space around our house. Dry cleaning is completely out of the question as I already have way too many appointments and errands to run each week.

When my kids were little, I could pass those shrunken shirts on to them, but now my kids are adults, so the shrinkage just get used as rags to wash cars and horses. I try to wear anything other than cotton. A little spandex in my clothes is always greatly appreciated. Also, I must admit that when my daughter and I go shopping together, we sometimes get into these competitions to see who can find the loudest shirt or pants, and then we encourage each other to buy them. My daughter has a matching lime green shirt, pants, and shoes, and she went on a Scavenger Hunt dressed as a crayon.

RiverBend Farm said...

Sounds like a good plan. I'm looking forward to hearing about your sessions.

Lulu said...

This sounds like a great plan to me! I typically have every friday off, due to working over night every Thursday. This week threw me off though....I have to work overnight tonight! So much for my Saturday morning, huh?

allhorsestuff said...

Awesome to see you on your lovely horse!
I am glad for the schedule you came up with..nice going!
I like your hike and ride idea!
Kac

Pony Girl said...

Sounds like a perfect solution! I hope the Thursdays off works out. I think your instructor sounds good. Flexibility and attentiveness are good qualities.
I am done with school in 2 1/2 wks., other than a few weeks of summer camp and jury duty (blech! ;) I am looking forward to a month off this summer!