Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Coat Rack Creativity

I went out to the barn to clean stalls in the evening. It looked cool outside, so I put on a jacket. After cleaning one stall I found myself overheated, removed my jacket and looked around for something to hang it on. Nothing. I couldn't find anything that would keep my jacket off the ground.

Then I looked at the horses and realized that I had three very talented coat racks right in front of me. I hung my coat over Lostine's withers and told her to take care of it for me. Gabbrielle got so excited over this new toy, but Lostine wouldn't let her near it. Each time Gabbrielle tried to sniff my jacket, Lostine pinned her ears back and chased her off, careful to keep the jacket perched on her back.

I knew Gabbrielle was jealous that I chose Lostine for the job, so I gave Gabbrielle the responsibility of balancing my coat for a while. She sniffed it, but left it where I laid it over her back. Then Bombay walked up, yanked my jacket off Gabbrielle's back by the sleeve and began swinging it in circles with his teeth. I hollered at him, and he dropped it in a pile of manure.

I picked it up and threw it over Bombay's back, and within seconds he was swinging it like a helicopter rotor above his head. I took it away before he could drop it in a pile of manure again, and put it back onto Lostine's back, where it stayed safely until I was ready to go inside. I hope I remember to wash that jacket before I need to wear it again. :0

15 comments:

KD said...

That Bombay is a hoot, isn't he? Sounds like my Ringer, who I sold as a late 2 year old. (I still get to see him - his owner and I are friends)

Reddunappy said...

There is always one clown in the bunch LOL I have one of those too!

Kate said...

I wish I'd seen that - your horses have amazing, playful characters! Your post made me laugh!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Bombay was my first horse, so when my horse trainer said that she put him in a stall at her facility next to another gelding who was a character like him, I wasn't sure what she meant. I thought all horses were animated and had a silly sense of humor. Then I got my mares and realized that's just not true.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, boy! I sure hope you do wash it before you wear it somewhere!!!

Paint Girl said...

That is hilarious! I can totally picture all of this in my head!
My Paint Fritzy would do the same thing, pick it up and swing it around, and if it isn't Fritzy it would be one of my goats, they are always taking off with something of mine!

Breathe said...

How fun! That's the best coat rack ever! My horse would have to be peeled off the ceiling if someone started waving jackets around...

Once Upon an Equine said...

You did a good job of describing their antics. I could almost see Bombay swinging your coat around. What a playful character.

fernvalley01 said...

Sounds like a fun crew to work around.I wouldn't dare try it most would be OK but one of the clowns would likely take it off on a very long field trip

Pony Girl said...

Seriously, your horses need their own t.v. show. They are quite the comedians! :)

Katharine Swan said...

That's funny that Lostine is such a good coat guard! And that Bombay -- man, I love hearing about his antics!

HorseOfCourse said...

Oh, I can just see it happening!
I love a horse with a sense of humour. Unfortunately the ones that are curious sometimes get themselves into trouble...
You have a nice bunch there, NuzzMuzz!

Callie said...

LMAO! That is too funny, what a bunch of characters! Oh that cracks me up, I just pictured it in my head!

Jenn said...

Such a guy! Girls always have to be more serious don't they?

Gabe is the "thief" in my little bunch. You can't leave anything not nailed down or he'll steal and play catch me if you can with it.

Andrea said...

Bombay just cracks me up!! I love his personality!! He is too funny!!