Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Disciplining Lostine

It's funny how raising horses isn't much different from raising children. This morning I looked out the window to see Lostine blocking Gabbrielle's path to the water trough. Gabbrielle attempted to get to the water by going this way and that, and each time she made a move, Lostine pinned her ears back and swung her rear to the side to block her. Gabbrielle wasn't trying to steal Lostine's hay, and Lostine knew it. Lostine was just being difficult for the fun of it.

I tried to open the window, but it was stuck. I then knocked on the window and yelled Lostine's name. Her ears instantly shot forward and she moved to the side to let Gabbrielle pass. Many years ago when I first started working with horses, I would have never dreamed that I could have that level of communication with such a different species. These horses understand so much of what I do and say. I guess it's just all a part of hanging out together and getting to know one another.

9 comments:

KD said...

Much like just giving your dog a "look" and they know. I always feel bad for my Appy mare who is low man in our little herd of 3.

Katharine Swan said...

I LOVE that story, and I know exactly what you mean by the level of communication. It never ceases to amaze me how well Panama reads me, and how I always can sense what he's thinking or feeling.

A similar story: At one of Panama's old barns, he got the idea of chewing on the fence from his neighbor who was on stall rest. He'd never been a cribber before and I knew he was just trying it on for size, so I hung out there one whole afternoon and yelled and chased him off every time he started chewing on the fence. It was just like scolding a kid! After the first couple of times I yelled at him, he got this thoughtful look on his face and made a really exaggerated move to chew on the fence, watching me the whole time. I disciplined him again, and he stood there licking and chewing. His body language totally said he'd figured out that he wasn't to do that -- and no testing me either! Now he only does it if he's jealous and trying to get my attention (he knows it's a surefire way to get it!). What a hoot!

Katharine Swan said...

P.S. I love the butt shot! ;o)

Sydney said...

:O!

What a witch! Wouldn't let her drink. We had to do two separate water troughs a few times with new horses until they sorted out that all the horses needed to drink and the newbies would kick butt if they were that thirsty.

allhorsestuff said...

Too Funny about jsut yelling through the glass and knocking the window...she knows...don't make me walk out there!

Paint Girl said...

I can totally picture this in my mind and could see Fritzy doing this to Brandy.
My Paint is dominant over my Arab. They get along for the most part. Everywhere Brandy goes, Fritzy follows, if Brandy plays with the jolly ball, Fritzy chases her away so she can play with it. Every now and than, Fritzy bites Brandy and leaves marks so I know she did it, I am sure it wasn't one of the goats! If I am home and see Fritzy being bossy, I do the same as you, yell out the window! Fritzy will always look up at me but than continue bossing Brandy around! Such a brat! I just wish Brandy would put Fritzy in her place!

Cheryl Ann said...

Great post! I love watching Scout. Now she runs off the horses in the neighboring corral. Yeah...what a witch!

Reddunappy said...

My Emma is always herding the other two appart, she is the middle in the pecking order, she has to be in the middle of the three of them all of the time!

Is Lostine a rabicono, looks like she has those white marks by her tail.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great photo of Lostine.
What a horse whisperer you are, NM. hehe!

~Lisa