Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rodeo Weekend

My daughter and I stopped by a local rodeo this past weekend, so I thought I'd share some photos. Here's a really cool painting on the side of a truck. I love how the image goes up into the window...

The place was packed like a sardine can filled with horses and riders. Note the paramedics on call. Turns out they were needed, as you will see later on...

The grandstands were full. They also swallowed my sunglasses. I dropped my sunglasses, and of course they had to slip through the tiny crack at my feet. My daughter ended up taking a lot of the pictures while I hunted around for a way to get under the bleachers to retrieve my shades...

I'm always fascinated with the techniques that are used in calf roping...

This is the cowboy who took my daughter to their senior prom last year...

These cowgirls blew me away with how they threw themselves off their horses at a full gallop or during a sliding stop. They can dismount on the left or right, whichever side the goat happens to be on...


More action shots...



The rodeo clowns did a great job. One of them almost got skewered when a bull zoned in on him and chased him all the way to the end of the arena...

It turns out their help was really needed. A bull stomped on this guy's leg after he fell...

Here everyone is carrying him out to the paramedics...

Still people kept getting on those bulls...

...and roping those calves...

Injuries are all a part of the game.

This guy almost didn't make it out of the gate, because his bull kept bucking in the chute, and almost climbed right up over the railing onto the bull in the chute next door...

In the end, all the calves were put away and nothing was left behind but a cloud of dust...

Yeehaw!

13 comments:

lytha said...

first? hehehe

i can't believe the action shots, that is incredible how they spring off their horses as their running/stopping.

i think you live in horse country!

~lytha

Once Upon an Equine said...

Goodness! That was an eventful rodeo. Great pictures. Glad the paramedics were ready to assist. Interesting paint job on that first truck. Glad that clown avoided the skewering. They are a brave bunch.

HorseOfCourse said...

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures NuzzMuzz!
Nothing like that is going on over here, so to me this is really exciting to watch!
I cannot understand how they dare to ride those bulls though...

fernvalley01 said...

Great photos!

Paint Girl said...

I love rodeos! I try to go to a few a year. I got to go to the Toughest Cowboy rodeo tour in March. That was so much fun!
You took excellant pictures, I can't take decent rodeo pictures! They all come out blurry, I can't figure out the setting for action shots! I am so not a photographer!

Leah Fry said...

We live near the Mesquite Rodeo, and we took a German foreign exchange student to the rodeo. Big tough senior in high school cried and said we were mean people to do that to calves. I told him to run on down there and try it if he thought those calves were frail little housepets.

Maybe we were mean. Cuz then we took him out and bought him calf fries and didn't tell him what they were until he had gobbled up half the plate. He loved them until he found out what they were.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Nice action shots you got there!!! Especially love the one of the bull in the chute. Oh we so have rodeo fever here at our ranch LOL!! My DD starts rodeo'n a week from Friday!!! Such a great time of year!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Those are great action shots!
I like watching rodeo but I always feel so sorry for the ones that get hurt. They don't even have medical insurance most of the time.

Cheryl Ann said...

Great action shots! Did you find your sunglasses? My hubby lost his $$$ pair in Walmart one time. Yup. They were LOST, for good!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cheryl Ann - Yes, I did get my sunglasses back. They had a chain-link fence around the bleachers, so I tried to climb it, but it was too flimsy to hold my weight. Then I asked the ladies at the snack bar for a yardstick or some long item to reach under the fence with. One young girl said there is a gate back there, but it's camouflaged, so you have to look really hard. I found it, walked in, and retrieved them.

manker said...

something i never grew up around .. but now here have to come to absolutely love the rodeo.. lots of athleticism and partnership to git ;r done

your photogs are great
happy trails
gp

Callie said...

Great pics! I love a rodeo!

Andrea said...

Rodeos are so much fun. I have always thought that there was something wrong with bull riders. Really, they are just NUTS!! I can say that because I married one!! :) Fun pictures and yes, those goat tying girls are brave!!