Friday, May 22, 2009

Things are a bit Screwy

One of the things I love about Gabbrielle is her level head. When I am training her and something goes wrong, her response is to stop, hold still, and wait for me to fix it. If a lunge line gets tangled in her legs or around her neck, she just stops and waits. It's wonderful.

Last night I was ground driving her in the bit and surcingle. I asked her to trot, but instead she stopped. I walked around to the side to see what was going on, and I found that one of the Chicago screws that held her bit to her bridle had fallen out. The bit and bridle were hanging around her poll. She knew something wasn't right, so she planted her feet and waited for me to fix it.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any more screws, so I had to dismantle her tack and call it a day. My family went on a Chicago screw hunt in the round pen with me, but it was nowhere to be found. My son even got out his magnets and dragged them along the ground in hopes of picking up the screw. All he got was a lot of iron. The kids were fascinated by that. I told them that picking up iron out of the dirt with magnets was how I entertained myself during my childhood. This was a first for them.

So, it's looking like I'll be spending part of my weekend searching the local hardware store. If worse comes to worse, I'll poke another hole in the bridle and use a leather tie. It's looking like I might not get much riding in over the 3-day weekend because my next door neighbors appear to be setting up for a yard sale, which means lots more foot and vehicle traffic. I'll have to trailer the horses out of the neighborhood to get some peace and quiet.

On another note, we took the horses out to pasture today without any problems at all. Go figure.

9 comments:

Kate said...

I hate Chicago screws - they're always falling out at the most inappropriate times! Good luck with your search. Glad leading out went well.

Once Upon an Equine said...

That Gabrielle is a smart gal. Good luck with the bridle repair and sorry about the yard sale next door.

Katharine Swan said...

So smart! If Panama is uncertain, he'll often stop, too. Only if he doesn't spook first, though. ;o)

I remember once when we were practicing loading onto the trailer, and when he backed out he managed to catch his lead rope in the door latches -- catch it so well, in fact, that when he panicked and tried to pull back, he dragged the trailer a couple of feet! I yelled his name, which usually gets through to him when he's being dumb (despite the fact that raising your voice is supposed to panic a horse more, he always reacts this way to a sharp, "Panama!"). He stopped, dropped his head rather sheepishly, and waited for me to rescue him. ;o)

Horses are such big babies sometimes, aren't they? ;o)

fernvalley01 said...

I had that happen on a mountain trail ride halfway through a bog , lucky I was on my old girl ,just grabbed the headstall and rode her though with the bit and riens around her neck. NOT atrick I would try on a greenie!
Chicago screws are notorios for loosening ,I will have to ask my friends hubby how he put ours back on so tight (lock tight maybe?) beautiful pic of Gabrielle btw

Paint Girl said...

Good Gabrielle! The best thing she can do is stop if something is wrong! She is so beautiful! I just love Arabs!
Glad to hear your turnout went better today! Was there as much commotion? Sounds like there will be this weekend!
Have a good one!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Wow she is one smart cookie!! That's great!! Hope you find a replacement screw soon so you can get back to work!!

HorseOfCourse said...

Both beautiful AND smart! It will be interesting once you get in the saddle, NuzzMuzz :-)

Adventures of a Horse Crazed Mind said...

Oh how I wish more horses were like that! What a lovely trait! I always use leather ties now...I have never had a problem with them so long as you check to see that the leather is good every now and then.

Andrea said...

Ugh, I hate chicago screws. I use clips or ties. It's so good for Gabbrielle to stop like that!! That is fantastic. Smart girl!!

And aren't horses weird? One day they are all running around being stupid and the next day they are calm and act like nothing happened the day before. I am glad they got some relaxing grass time.