Monday, May 4, 2009

This is Hilarious, I Promise

I was cleaning out my desk and came across this tiny newspaper clipping I must have saved to send to my mother years ago, but lost it amongst all my paperwork. My mother was a horse woman in her younger years. She owned a horse as a child, took English riding lessons, and is part-owner of our mare Gabbrielle, so I knew she'd appreciate this. Here are two ads back to back with some seriously silly typos:

  • Black with chrome breeding stock APHA mare in foal to pony, nice mare will make a great 4H horse, hauls, clips, good for furrier, must sell. $1500.

(In case you didn't catch it, this horse will be good for the furrier... you know, the guy who skins animals and creates fur coats? I also have to wonder if the breeding was intentional or if someone left the gate open.)

  • Beautiful, professionally barrel trained quarter horse, gelding, 19 years young, alert, strong, well tempered, trailers great, must sell due to back injury, $1800.
(Ummm, I'm not so sure that he's going to get $1800 for a horse with a back injury. ;)

7 comments:

photogchic said...

Funny stuff.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wouldn't it be nice if some people could spell and put intelligent thoughts together for even a short ad. Wonder if they ever sold those interesting horses.

fernvalley01 said...

Spell and grammar check !!!
I think sometimes people forget to read it back to themselves to hear how it sounds before they hit print!

Andrea said...

I think that second ad is funny!! I would love to see a professional barrel!! LOL!!! The wording is just kinda funny. Some ads make me wonder sometimes. I always love the green broke horse ads that read, "Barrel prospect". To me that screams, "Help, I can't ride this wild horse! It does too fast and rears all the time. I think it would make a great crazy barrel horse!" Well, at least in my mind.

That first ad made me laugh, the furrier!! LOL!! I love reading ads. The misspelled breeds crack me up too. When some one will write "Welch" pony instead of Welsh pony.

Fun finds!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

There are more instances of bad grammar and misspellings in horse ads than in anything else. lol!

jen098 said...

Ironically, a bill of sale for one of my horses says "Welch" pony on it (written by the previous owner, of course).

Years ago I saw a funny article about horse ads and what they REALLY mean. For example, "Spirited" means "will take off with you", or "Loves people" means "has no boundaries and will run you over". "Green Broke" means "He STILL hasn't stopped bucking". I don't really remember them all, but when I read horse ads I still think of what people REALLY mean...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ummm, After all I've been through, I'm wondering at how the guy ended up with a back injury after he wrote that his horse is 'strong and alert'.

To me that reads 'strong enough to teleport sideways after being alert to scary horse eating spooks' Gah!

Ouch!
~Lisa