Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wind, Wind, Go Away...

...Don't come again another day.

The skies were pretty nasty today, so I opted out of working with the horses.

I spent most of my day writing letters in protest of the motocross track the City of Commerce wants to build across the street from my favorite horse riding arenas. I also worked on one of my novels.

I wanted to at least hang out with the horses, even though the wind was blowing too hard to ride them, so I rode my bike around them. I was having a grand old time playing with them on two wheels until a van filled with salesman drove up my road. When I only have a few minutes to spend with my horses, I am very stubborn about allowing others to take those few minutes away from me in order to serve their own agendas. So, when the van tried pulling over beside my barn, I rode my bike to the other side where they couldn't see me. When they moved to my side to try to get my attention, I rode to the opposite side. It was rather fun jerking them around. Even the horses were laughing.

The salesmen gave up on me and went to my door, which sent my dogs into fits. I don't know why people always ignore my NO TRESPASSING signs. They are meant for everyone, and they are there for good reason. Whenever someone knocks on our door or rings our doorbell, our dogs go nuts. Then they bark at everything that moves for days afterward, which makes it difficult for me to concentrate on my job when working from home.

I later went inside and found out that the salesman interrupted my husband's viewing of the Kentucky Derby. He wasn't happy about that. Of course, he got to see the reruns, but it's just not the same as the excitement of the original race when you don't know the outcome. He said he wasn't even going to answer the door except he thought it might be me and I locked myself out of the house. It was an amazing race, wasn't it? Mine the Bird is a stunning horse and the winning jockey was a riot.

7 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

Those pictures of your tarp blowing in the wind are really something! I don't blame you for not working with the horses is that kind of weather!

I didn't watch the Kentucky Derby, and your blog is the first I've heard about the outcome. I'll have to check it out online. I'm not a big racing fan, but I am curious to find out how the race went.

allhorsestuff said...

Oh..ya know, I would have done the exact same thing...Or I actually may have allowed them to get close enough to me, for me to ask if they could read english...then send them to the gate where the sign was!
I love the horse laughing!
Kac
nasty nasty wind here today too!

allhorsestuff said...

You made me laugh with the "Wilts in comparission"!! I loved how those seed pods came out..it was a surprise to the day!
Thanks for commin by!!
Kac

lytha said...

Horse-eating tarp alert! I can only imagine the fright it would give Baasha - the sound of it coming to life like that. I bet your horses went through the habituation phase like this:

It's scary! But food inside! It's scary! But food inside! Hehehehe

~lytha

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lytha - So true, and so funny. The amazing thing is that after all the tarp desensitization I did in the past, the horses will now graze around the tarp when it is blowing in the wind like that, and I have to move them away because that tarp will snap their eye out if it hits them in the face.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Too bad that tarp didn't scare the salesmen away. bah!
I moved to the country to get away from salemen, religious loiterers and political spammers. But sometimes they still stop by anyway. Persistant little buggers, eh?
That photo with the muzzle munching hay looks surreal. Sort of like a statue.

~Lisa

Andrea said...

I missed the Kentucky Derby. I didn't even realize it was on. I will have to find it on You Tube. Those pictures of your tarp are amazing. I love the sky pictures with Bombay's muzzle.