Saturday, June 27, 2009

Richard Winters: The Bucking Horse

At the 2009 Western States Horse Expo, Richard Winters put on a clinic called, "Problem Solving the Bucking Horse."

He began by teaching the horse to stay out of his space. That way, should the horse decided to buck on the long line or while you are in its paddock, it knows better than to buck near you.

This horse actually seemed fairly easygoing, so Richard had to loop a rope around its midsection and lunge it to force some bucks out of it.


Once it lunged quietly with that rope there, he removed the rope.

He also brought out the white plastic bag on a stick and waved it at the horse.


Once the horse settled down, he rode it...

...hard and fast.

The crowd was holding its collective breath waiting for a buck...

... but Richard did his ground work well, so he had a pleasant ride.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Thanks for posting on the clinicians, I've really enjoyed them. The pictures of Stacy are hilarious,and the minis are too cute with their little sneakers. (My husband took one look at that and said, No you don't!)Who me? have a little horse pet wandering around in my kitchen with sneakers on???? Naaaaaaaaah.....

Breathe said...

shoot. My horse does long division on the ground. Respects my space. Got him over all the spooks. And HE STILL BUCKS.

Which makes me think of a word that is not very nice that rhymes with buck.

:(

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Shirley - You're welcome. I just wish I could remember more of what they said.

Breathe - This was one of those clinics where there was standing room in the hot sun only, so I didn't stick it out long enough to give you more information. I wish I could remember something that would help you.

Reddunappy said...

Mickey use to be a bucker, until she was around 9, everytime I saddled her she would explode. Things started changing when I attended a horse expo that had Marianne Simmons, She "talks" to horses. Now I usually dont believe in that stuff, but she said to me " have you ever asked her, why?" I was so frustrated with her one day that I did just that LOL I realy dont know if it helped but she started getting better. I also started feeding her cookies when I cinched her up, so had something positive. That made a whole lot of difference LOL she has always been food motivated. She would just explode violently with no concern for her own safety, or yours. Now that I have studied some Parelli I realize how claustrophobic she is, when it comes to the cinch. She has been fine through Meg riding her in 4-H and now, in fact she was the first one I rode, bareback, after my surgery. I stuck with her and finally solved the problem. Still have to cinch slow and watch her though.

Breathe said...

I wish I wasn't out of ideas. Maybe I can send him to richard winters. :D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great photos. Interesting post. I'd like to see if he could remove the bucks on a bucking bronco. Now THAT would be something to see. teehee!

~Lisa