Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Scenes from the Western States Horse Expo 2009

Believe it or not, I still have a lot of report on the 2009 Western States Horse Expo. There were saddles galore at the Mane Market Mall. I enjoyed pawing them, but the salespeople made me nervous. Having just been given a brand new saddle as a gift, I didn't want them pressuring me into buying another saddle. One salesman kept trying to convince me that Arabian bars are exactly the same as Full Quarter Horse bars. Hmmmmm. Then why do they give them different names if they are the same? I didn't trust that guy.

They added several booths just for people who sell hand cream, and you'd better believe those salespeople were aggressive. After a while, my daughter and I kept an eye out up ahead, and if we saw a hand cream booth, we cut a wide wake around it. People were trying to soak your hands in bowls and squirt junk into them. It was like getting sprayed by samples of perfume in a department store, whether you like it or not.

This next picture is for Lisa. Note the knee in a cast. Oh yes, and the goat and foal too.

Minis, Minis everywhere!



I didn't realize that the smaller one was the foal of the bigger one until I saw this...

This little Mini got a little too excited over a baby in a stroller...

Yes, those are tennis shoes he's wearing...

There was a baby zebra at the auction. This was the best picture I could get before a clique of really rude women stood right in front of us. We had been staking out a spot for half an hour, and they showed up late and just stood in front of everyone who was already there. My daughter and I were also fed up with a mother who kept spanking her toddler because the child couldn't sit still for the hour that they had been waiting for the auction to begin. (Really, folks, if you can't understand that a toddler can't sit that long, maybe you shouldn't be buying a horse, because both toddlers and horses take a lot of patience, understanding, distractions, and love.) We decided to leave and go some place where the crowd had a little more class.

I tried to remember the name of this drill team, but too much time has passed. It's an equestrian drill team made up of troubled youth. What a great way to keep them off the streets and busy. Anyway, they had riders of all levels, and they did a fantastic job. They actually had only decided to perform publicly and had made up a routine just two weeks before.




9 comments:

Sydney said...

Wow an english drill team, thats unusual

Callie said...

Neat pics!

sue said...

oue Mocha would have enjoyed seeing all those minis!!! I wonder if she thinks sometimes that she is the only one in the world!! and that she lives in the land of the giants....I felt bad to see the little zebra at that auction, hope he went to someone who knows what they are doing....

photogchic said...

That one pic of the mini looks like Maddy! How much did the zebra go for?

Paint Girl said...

The expo sounds like it had such a nice mixture of stuff! Love the drill team, that is really neat that they have something like that for troubled teens!
Oh and the guy who says there is no difference between Arab and QH bars, I wouldn't have talked or bought anything from him. There is an obvious difference!
I wish we had expos like this up here! I would love to go to one someday!

Vaquerogirl said...

Hey I was at the Expo on Friday with my 'posse'! I wish I had known you were going to be there too, we could have met up and had a Coke together! Maybe next year. Sounds like you saw a bunch of fun stuff! I did too, but didn't buy a thing!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That drill team was so awesome! Wow!
And thanks for the photo 'referral'. You know I am now wanting to ask that gal how she hurt her knee. Hopefully not from the foal or goat. gah!
Everywhere I go I see cute foals now. Not sure if it's just because I've got a foal next door or because there are just a lot of foals around. lol!

Those minis are cute, but those tennis shoes are just weird. lol!

I had some rude women cutting in line in front of me and my son on Friday during a rodeo event. We were waiting to greet a bison and have our photos taken and everyone got into line, but them, and then they just walked up to the bison and forced the guy to take their picture. Another one of the guys helping out was rolling his eyes and said they were rude.
I wish he would have just made them leave. bah!

Rude people suck.
:P

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh that's crazy about the woman at the auction with the toddler. I couldn't even shop for anything besides groceries when my kidlets were toddlers. Who does she think she is trying to shop for a horse with a toddler. gah!

Yes. So how much did the baby zebra go for? It's kind of sad actually. It looks rather young.

Hmmmm, if given a chance I'd maybe bid on a baby camel.....lol!

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

We actually left before the zebra or any animal sold at the auction. The guys who were setting up seemed disorganized and made the audience wait a long time. We tried to return after several hours in hopes that the lookie loos would get bored and leave, leaving us some seats, but the place was packed. I think they need to provide a larger arena with more seating next year.